CC ethics

I like turtles.
Fried or in a soup?
This one:
mascot.gif

But it's OK for restaurants isn't that one rule for one, one rule for another...?

It is that simple it's a Web page you have no control over. With the ability to leave a comment be that critical or not...

The choice is to use the medium or not!

Yes. It is one rule for one and one rule for another. It's a bit like you being able to swear and curse at a barbecue with your friends, but you wouldn't do it during tea and cakes with elderly Mr and Mrs Montague.

Large businesses have enough of a reputation and client base that a single complaint or negative comment on a Facebook business page can be easily absorbed by all the other people who had a great time/experience/left good reviews. For someone with their own one-man business that relies on a visual portfolio to gain clients and earn a living, people pointing out image errors directly under the images for all to see could kill it. If it was a photo that the OP had nothing to do with, he had no business offering C&C in public. Even if it was a photo of the OP, common courtesy dictates a message of that type be sent in private.

There is a thing in civilised society called tact, which when employed avoids situations like the one OP got himself into.

No one would do the same with a photo on a personal website and a Facebook business page is essentially the same thing.

Last edited:
Could get a little touchy which I guess is kinda okay.

I see a whole bunch of tactless and even tacky things on Facebook from a whole bunch of people living in a so called civilized society.
I get what you are saying Forkie and almost totally agree.

However, I believe the OP made an honest mistake and probably would not repeat it; if it's agreed that it was a mistake.

Last edited:
While I get the concept, remember the OP was INVITED to like the person with the facebook page. I was taught long ago by my mother...... If you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask the question. Samething could apply here. If you don't want responses from people don't go asking them to "Like" you or your facebook page.

In this particular case BOTH lacked a degree of tact.

I was taught long ago by my mother...... If you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask the question. Samething could apply here. If you don't want responses from people don't go asking them to "Like" you or your facebook page.
Many people are also taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...

True, but were they also taught to go begging for compliments?

Like I said, Both parties lacked tack in this situation.

I don't think he was not being nice. He was just giving advice which makes it so weird.

As a business owner, I do not appreciate people publicly critiquing my images on my FB page without being asked. I have no problem deleting comments and banning people from my page. It's not a free for all page. It has nothing to do with ego but more or less business and perception of the business. I don't know everything and it's always a constant learning process. I practice every day, learn new things everyday, and apply what I learned to my business. People hire me because of my vision and how I do things, whether it is good or bad in the eyes of another person. Since art is more subjective, EVERYONE has a freaking opinion. I have potential clients on the page reading everything. My business page is NOT the place for anyone to voice their own personal opinion about my photographs, unless you're a paying client. :D

Maybe a sticky on every FB page to let folks know they should not critique.
"DON'T CRITIQUE MY WORK UNLESS YOU PAY ME" or unless it's positive.

While I get the concept, remember the OP was INVITED to like the person with the facebook page. I was taught long ago by my mother...... If you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask the question. Samething could apply here. If you don't want responses from people don't go asking them to "Like" you or your facebook page.

Invites to like a page are not open invitations to critique photos. I'm not sure if you have a facebook page or not or if you are familiar with how facebook works, but there are many different types of pages, personal ones, business, artist, community entertainment etc., plus group pages. Most group pages are closed and you must join them. On group pages, critique is often asked for and given openly, but group pages and personal pages are much different than artist and business pages. I have invited people to like my artist page on facebook, but I would not tolerate anyone giving open critique of my photos, because that's not why I post them there. My page is a gallery of my work. As I said somewhere else in this thread, on facebook, if someone doesn't like a photo, then ignore it, or you send a PM to the artist or business owner. Its called good manners.

Invites to like a page are not open invitations to critique photos. I'm not sure if you have a facebook page or not or if you are familiar with how facebook works, but there are many different types of pages, personal ones, business, artist, community entertainment etc., plus group pages. Most group pages are closed and you must join them. On group pages, critique is often asked for and given openly, but group pages and personal pages are much different than artist and business pages. I have invited people to like my artist page on facebook, but I would not tolerate anyone giving open critique of my photos, because that's not why I post them there. My page is a gallery of my work. As I said somewhere else in this thread, on facebook, if someone doesn't like a photo, then ignore it, or you send a PM to the artist or business owner. Its called good manners.

I am totally with you on what would be ideal manners, etiquette, tact, etc. But since FB is on the great big www, with bazillions of users (many brand new) from all over creation; to think everyone would be educated on everything is wishful thinking.

As far as the OP - I believe he fully understands where he went wrong, even though his intentions seemed to be good. Can you imagine how many OP's are out there though?
Delete the post, send a private message, help someone understand etiquette. Maybe gain a new customer.

I wondered the same thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back