CC ethics

It's a way of networking like a room of strangers you get everyone else .

Try going to a networking event and critiquing everyone's work. I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends.

Photography is a hobby to me, but in my career field of engineering, if I went to a networking event and negatively critiqued my peers, you better believe someone would overhear and my boss/boss' boss/ boss' boss' boss would be contacted and I would get a severe 'talking to'. It's bad business and bad PR to negatively critique another business in the public eye.

No business wants negative comments only a fool would expect none.

True, but businesses will also have the right to: (1) remove your unwanted comments, (2) send a rebuttal private message, (3) block you from their site, (4) not serve you as a customer, and (5) not provide a good reference for you.

Again, a little courtesy goes a long way. You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours.

While I get the concept, remember the OP was INVITED to like the person with the facebook page. I was taught long ago by my mother...... If you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask the question. Samething could apply here. If you don't want responses from people don't go asking them to "Like" you or your facebook page.

In this particular case BOTH lacked a degree of tact.

But inviting someone to like your page isn't an invitation to critique. It's not asking a question. Uninvited criticism on a non CC page is like accepting an invitation to a wedding and asking for all to hear why the groom married such an unattractive and stupid woman when he could have done so much better by getting someone younger and thinner and richer...

Unsolicited invitations to "like me or like my page" are nothing more than spam, digital junk mail. Let's face a little reality about Facebook and other sites like it. It cost you nothing, not one red cent. To those that use it, it is nothing more than some FREE advertising. Oh Goody Goody..................... You get what you pay for and you expectations should match that cost as well.

Facebook and other "social media" sites like Facebook gives you this "service" so you can be their carnival hawker to draw them in a crowd. They make their money from all the unsolicited ads they have. Same spam, same digital junk mail. I don't want to pretend I'm a farmer, I don't want to pretend I'm a mofioso, I don't want to crush some candy and I don't want unsolicited "please suck up to me" invitations from the Facebook tools. If you stick fliers on every door in town inviting every unknown Tom, Dick and Mary to your wedding well you are going to get those that have questions and opinions. If you don't think it will happen then you need to get back to the real world or perhaps be a bit more selective in your invitations.

You have a brick and mortor store and someone paints all over the store front, you have a legitimate beef. You buy a domain name, pay someone to build it for you and pay your monthy fee and somebody hacks it again a legitimate beef. Remember if you build that site you don't have to build into it the ability for others to respond or leave comments.

Perhaps taking a trick from the big companies would be a better way to go. Instead of complaining about lemons and throwing them in the trash, make lemonade. Many of the most successful sites don't delete the unfavorible posts, they address them often supplying additional advise, rectifying the problem or even admitting that what was suggested might have some merit and will be looked into in the future.

Like I stated all along, I am not defending the OP or thier actions, both parties lacked tact in the situation. The fact is this is "Social Media" which means a little give and take. S#!% happens sometimes and people get a little askew, but to get your panties all in a wad because you didn't get the the comment you wanted while using some freebee you are taking advantage of equally as tacky.

While I get the concept, remember the OP was INVITED to like the person with the facebook page. I was taught long ago by my mother...... If you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask the question. Samething could apply here. If you don't want responses from people don't go asking them to "Like" you or your facebook page.

In this particular case BOTH lacked a degree of tact.

But inviting someone to like your page isn't an invitation to critique. It's not asking a question. Uninvited criticism on a non CC page is like accepting an invitation to a wedding and asking for all to hear why the groom married such an unattractive and stupid woman when he could have done so much better by getting someone younger and thinner and richer...

Unsolicited invitations to "like me or like my page" are nothing more than spam, digital junk mail. Let's face a little reality about Facebook and other sites like it. It cost you nothing, not one red cent. To those that use it, it is nothing more than some FREE advertising. Oh Goody Goody..................... You get what you pay for and you expectations should match that cost as well.

Facebook and other "social media" sites like Facebook gives you this "service" so you can be their carnival hawker to draw them in a crowd. They make their money from all the unsolicited ads they have. Same spam, same digital junk mail. I don't want to pretend I'm a farmer, I don't want to pretend I'm a mofioso, I don't want to crush some candy and I don't want unsolicited "please suck up to me" invitations from the Facebook tools. If you stick fliers on every door in town inviting every unknown Tom, Dick and Mary to your wedding well you are going to get those that have questions and opinions. If you don't think it will happen then you need to get back to the real world or perhaps be a bit more selective in your invitations.

You have a brick and mortor store and someone paints all over the store front, you have a legitimate beef. You buy a domain name, pay someone to build it for you and pay your monthy fee and somebody hacks it again a legitimate beef. Remember if you build that site you don't have to build into it the ability for others to respond or leave comments.

Perhaps taking a trick from the big companies would be a better way to go. Instead of complaining about lemons and throwing them in the trash, make lemonade. Many of the most successful sites don't delete the unfavorible posts, they address them often supplying additional advise, rectifying the problem or even admitting that what was suggested might have some merit and will be looked into in the future.

Like I stated all along, I am not defending the OP or thier actions, both parties lacked tact in the situation. The fact is this is "Social Media" which means a little give and take. S#!% happens sometimes and people get a little askew, but to get your panties all in a wad because you didn't get the the comment you wanted while using some freebee you are taking advantage of equally as tacky.

Can I point out that this (bolded) is not the case. Facebook does not spam people to Like your business page at random. In fact, it does the exact opposite. You have to PAY for your page to be advertised in people's News Feeds on a Pay Per Click basis. Yes, Facebook will highlight the fact that someone has liked your business page to that person's friends, but even then, it is only to friends who have related interests already listed in their profile. The other time is if you consciously share your page publicly or someone else shares it on your behalf.

The point of getting people to like your page is so that their friends might like it and their friends' friends might like it too. Like a network, oddly enough. You presume, that if someone doesn't like your work, that they won't like your page, not criticise it openly.

You talk about "in the real world, this" or "in the real world, that" as if Facebook and social media is a fad or phase that will be gone soon and we can all go back to "normal", but the reality is that Facebook and all other social media is the real world. It is the 21st century and these places are where business is done in the 21st century. Therefore, etiquette, good PR and good business practice is as important there as it is/was in your "real world".

As an aside:

I'm not saying this to anyone in particular, but I feel I really must point out that there are a lot of "old timer" photographers out there who continually spout their "Facebook, Flickr, 500px, Twitter, Instagram or any other social media is for happy snappers, MUACS, the unsophisticated, noobs and amateurs. In my day, you printed your portfolio in leather-bound albums , etc., etc" crap. Well, you know what, Old Timer? It is no longer your day. We are now in the day of digital, online, social, global communication and international business and there is an etiquette. An etiquette that is just as important online now as it was in your days of paper, film and dark rooms. Stop thinking of digital as a lesser photography or a lesser business or a lesser interaction and catch up.

The point of getting people to like your page is so that their friends might like it and their friends' friends might like it too. Like a network, oddly enough. You presume, that if someone doesn't like your work, that they won't like your page, not criticise it openly.

This ^^ Exactly!!!

It's a way of networking like a room of strangers you get everyone else .

Try going to a networking event and critiquing everyone's work. I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends.

Photography is a hobby to me, but in my career field of engineering, if I went to a networking event and negatively critiqued my peers, you better believe someone would overhear and my boss/boss' boss/ boss' boss' boss would be contacted and I would get a severe 'talking to'. It's bad business and bad PR to negatively critique another business in the public eye.

No business wants negative comments only a fool would expect none.

True, but businesses will also have the right to: (1) remove your unwanted comments, (2) send a rebuttal private message, (3) block you from their site, (4) not serve you as a customer, and (5) not provide a good reference for you.

Again, a little courtesy goes a long way. You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours.
The thing and has been expanded this isn't a dedicated networking event, it's not a place. I'm sure you know of a few people who can't keep quiet opinions even in public places. Anyway it's not a question right or wrong but will it happen or not.

A better analogy would be a soapbox in the town square next to the doom sayer with the board "the world ends tomorrow."

Just because people use it like an advertising medium doesn't make it one. It is a communication medium and that only. Just like I can use the phone to make a positive comment or negative same with facebook, just like I can solicit new business or deal with complaints. Sadly my phone call comment can now be public.

As gryphonslair99 I agree the business that use it as a communication media give the public an opportunity to see there customer skills in operation. I also think these get the best return for time invested, certainly over the business that think it's a public bill board.

Sadly for us oldies... "if you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing"... disappeared years ago. Public dissatisfaction can be rewarded. Fb is a young persons media tell someone under 25 they shouldn't leave a negative comment see what they say to you.

Just because people use it like an advertising medium doesn't make it one. It is a communication medium and that only.
This is just plain false. See Forkie's response, because I can't say it better:

Facebook does not spam people to Like your business page at random. In fact, it does the exact opposite. You have to PAY for your page to be advertised in people's News Feeds on a Pay Per Click basis.

Facebook isn't free advertising. You have to pay for advertising. Just like all other mediums.

How Facebook Ads Work Facebook for Business

Sadly for us oldies... "if you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing"... disappeared years ago. Public dissatisfaction can be rewarded. Fb is a young persons media tell someone under 25 they shouldn't leave a negative comment see what they say to you.

Sorry, but your inductive reasoning is completely false.

With all the crazy things and people in this world, it's hard to believe that any of us would EXPECT courtesy from every stranger on FB of all places.
Common Courtesy? How common are we and how do you get 1.44 billion people to act or think commonly?

The OP is a fellow photographer and he did not even know the etiquette.
Heck, we don't always have common courtesy in TPF. I am a total jerk sometimes :)

Group hug and I apologize for my past and future jerkiness. :1398:

As an aside:

I'm not saying this to anyone in particular, but I feel I really must point out that there are a lot of "old timer" photographers out there who continually spout their "Facebook, Flickr, 500px, Twitter, Instagram or any other social media is for happy snappers, MUACS, the unsophisticated, noobs and amateurs. In my day, you printed your portfolio in leather-bound albums , etc., etc" crap. Well, you know what, Old Timer? It is no longer your day. We are now in the day of digital, online, social, global communication and international business and there is an etiquette. An etiquette that is just as important online now as it was in your days of paper, film and dark rooms. Stop thinking of digital as a lesser photography or a lesser business or a lesser interaction and catch up.

100% Agree

Just because people use it like an advertising medium doesn't make it one. It is a communication medium and that only.
This is just plain false. See Forkie's response, because I can't say it better:

Facebook does not spam people to Like your business page at random. In fact, it does the exact opposite. You have to PAY for your page to be advertised in people's News Feeds on a Pay Per Click basis.

Facebook isn't free advertising. You have to pay for advertising. Just like all other mediums.

How Facebook Ads Work Facebook for Business

Sorry, but your inductive reasoning is completely false.
Strawman argument either it's acceptable to leave any comments because it's not a business page but not if you paid to get included in others news feed. Just because you don't pay doesn't make it not marketing/advertising I'm not the one that says it's unacceptable to post negative.

I know anything goes, like the town square, I also know the young ones use it differently than you do.

If you put your expectations on others expect them to fail.

LOL@Waday. I know you agree to my sometimey jerkiness. :) Almost snorted a little coffee out :biglaugh:

If you put expectations on others expect them to fail.
Agree with this to a certain extent. I always plan for others to fail, but I do have an expectation (or hope, haha) that they will succeed.

LOL@Waday. I know you agree to my sometimey jerkiness. :) Almost snorted a little coffee out :biglaugh:

Sometimes people need it.. ;):p

If you put your expectations on others expect them to fail.

I can agree with this statement.

And when they do fail, they shall hereby be corrected (which I think OP has been, quite comprehensively, in this thread!).
You'll be there a while, over the years I've seen every response to negative comments on fb. Can't say there's a right way or wrong way. I've seen ignore, I've seen delete, I've seen slagging matches and I've seen charm the socks of them in the public arena.

Out of them all charming the socks of them seems the best way, but I can find examples of all the above responses and they still have successfully businesses.

It's the product that sells negative comments soon dissappear, if you're doing everything right.

well, im sure by now the OP has learned something from all this...
not sure what, but im certain there's a lesson in here somewhere.

on a serious note...and I will try to ask this in a way that does not infer a sense of willful ignorance on my part, but instead, a genuine avidity for erudition...

How is one made aware of all the aphorisms that make up the unspoken "rules" of social media?
Are all internet Business pages immune to the random musings of the proletariat?
I admit to not maintaining a very substantial business internet presence myself. Not due to any amount of philistinism on my part mind you, but rather, a lack of necessity. So given that most people are only acclimated to the use of social media pages as a strictly "social" nature, it doesn't quite fit that everyone would automatically attune their mindset that a business page is somehow different. The facile answer is to simply say it is "common sense", but I find that answer to be most unsatisfying, as I think social media interaction is more of a learned behavior. Perhaps the question of business page etiquette is not "what" should be done, but rather, "where" do we learn how to do it?

interestingly enough, upon retrospection of this thread, I have found myself pondering the implications of critique given on my Flickr page, and how I might react to it.
honestly, its not something I have really reflected on prior to this.
On one hand, Its just a place where I throw pretty much everything.
On the other hand, I do use it to show people my work, which sometimes results in more work, so I recognize now that I would not want potential clients seeing critique in the comments when im trying to pass myself off as someone who knows what they are doing.

Live and Learn eh?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back