CC - First DSLR

Tbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all just got my first DSLR today. I have some photoshop experience but I would appreciate some c and c. Thanks guys and gals.

Rio1.jpg

soy.jpg

The contrast looked a little blown out because of the flash (even though I still like the color) so I changed it to B&W and it looks ok.

soy2.jpg

thebash.jpg

Its focused on his right paw but it turned out ok anyways.

I wouldn't worry about Photoshop right now. I would work on composition and focusing. The first one is OOF. The second (color and BW), you missed the eyes, instead focusing the nose. The last one is the best composition-wise, but you chopped the dogs paw and missed the eye (like you said).

The shutter speed is too slow and you may be getting to close for the lens to focus because there is a minimum distance

I am new to DSLR as well but I think with dogs and people try to focus on their eyes and watch out for your DOF if you want their whole head to be in focus.

Thanks a lot for the advice. The second one I didn't mean to focus on the nose but I am kind of glad I did because that's were all of the personality in the photo is (I had his ball and he was pissed, this is right before he barks). Again thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Thanks a lot for the advice. The second one I didn't mean to focus on the nose but I am kind of glad I did because that's were all of the personality in the photo is (I had his ball and he was pissed, this is right before he barks). Again thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

The problem with the nose in focus is that the eyes are much more centered in the picture, so you are more drawn to them. Also, eyes in general are a better focal point.

The composition in the first shot just isn't right, and the focus is off.

The last picture is good, but a little underexposed.

Nice dogs

I like the last one the best as well. The photo came out the best, and the dog has a lot of personality captured in the photo as well as it being the technically best. In the first two, the focus is on the wrong part of the dog. And yeah, cool dogs!!!

Hey guys. Thanks A LOT for the advice. I feel I'm getting better every time I use my camera. I have two questions for you guys that I feel are my most common mistakes.

First; how do you quickly focus on the eyes? I find it difficult because they move so much I have to snap a picture quickly. Example below.

whitebash.jpg

Second; I use Adobe Elements 7 to edit my photos. The only problem is I don't want to get in to the habit of over editing pictures. The picture below has a blown out background but I thought the focus was good so I tried to save it. I like the color and everything and I feel it's actually a pretty good picture. Feel free to edit it if you like.

Before.
blownsoybefore.jpg

After.
blownsoy.jpg

P.S. Sorry for all of the dog pictures they are just my most interesting subjects. They are cute though.

I personally like the not processed picture of the one with the border because in the processed one, the dog looks somewhat pink..

Also, I don't really like the fact that it's overexposed because the details of the back can't be seen anymore.

These are just my opinions so don't take it into heart.

I love what you did with the last one, with the Sepia and Border. Even with a blown-out background, I think that photo is beautiful.

Take off that ugly ass border!
The photo itself is amazing though. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back