CC .. food photo.. of food i cooked haha

cyngus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
took some pictures of a pasta dish i made the other night.. an alfredo carbonara..

first time i took a shot of something i cooked.. not as rewarding as i had hoped.. kind just wanted to eat it and not spend an hour shooting it lol

lemme know what you guys think.. i relied almost completely on natural light in this shot.

photomodelnetwork.com - Eric Chiarito

Do you tilt every shot you shoot? Just wondering,since all I have seen has been tilted...

...anyway...I think the pasta would look a bit better if it had a touch more fill light on it...it seems a bit too contrasty...the wine glass is blowing out, but the pasta on the side opposite the natural light appears too dark...if it were lighter on the dark side, the lighting would match the bright, natural light and I think the overall feeling would be more cohesive...dang...now I want pasta!

agreed! thank u for putting into words what ive had in my head.. i can add more light in post.. but not sure if the shot is worth getting THAT into .. kind of wish i had more definition on the olives too..

was just using some foam core to bounce what natural light there was..

ive noticed that if its food that i cook i tend to rush things or not take my time and thing about the whole shot as much.. just kind of throw things together

not sure why that is.. when i shoot food other people make i find i relax more and have a better understanding of how id like the photo to look.

still have a long way to go to achieve the look that im really after.. *reference any williams sonoma book / catalog* haha

I think the natural light in the shot looks too "hot" on the wine glass and upper right area of the frame, and thus the pasta looks a bit dull by comparison...maybe a diffusing screen, like a 2x window screen, would have cut the hotness of the light coming in...

Anyway...food photography can be quite demanding and technical to get it looking as perfect as we see in Williams-Sonoma catalogs, Martha Stewart Living magazine, and so on. As long as you're enjoying it, hey...that's the important thing. That,and eating well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back