cc my box project and hot wheels :)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by tdiprincess, Feb 24, 2010.

1. tdiprincess

tdiprincess TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay so I was playing around with this also. I'm going to be putting a few of these pics on my craft forum (the other hobby...) I will also be fiddling around with these some more in the next couple days, so advise away please!
    As with the roses a couple were in auto (sorry).. semi-auto and manual. Sorta just playing around with the new baby..

#1-The lid of the box, cropped it, brightened it up a bit, upped the exposure also I believe. Taken in f/3.5 1/15 and ISO 500.
    [​IMG]

#2- Inside of the lid.. looking for a cool angle here.. f/6.3, 1/6, ISO 1,000. I think this may have been either auto or semi-auto.. PS wise I think I upped exposure a bit.
    [​IMG]

#3-The car.. believe this is a replica of a smokey and bandits (one of hubbys favs) shot in: f/6.3, 1/80 and ISO 200. This was in manual focus I believe. It was my favorite shot of the car personally. I cropped it a little bit.
    [​IMG]

last one #4-another of the car.. shot in: f/6.3, 1/80 and ISO800. I believe I manual focused.. Cannot remember though :( This one I cropped and brightened it up a bit.
    [​IMG]

So overall.. I was trying to work a bit on my lighting techniques. I would like to work on getting some better lights.
    Also, anyway to get out light spots on the table? I'm trying to clone and stuff but it doesn't seem to work well. Cropping seemed to do the best.

2. creisinger

creisinger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1st - use a tripod or try to put the camera onto something sturdy so you can take the images at lower ISO and with a higher aperture.

2nd - kind of mentioned in #1 - you're shooting with low apertures which create super shallow depth of field. This may desirable in the close-up shots of the car, but it doesn't really help in the first 2 images.

3rd - lighting: if you don't have a speed light (not the internal camera flash) and no strobes then take a table top lamp (desk lamp) put it next to the car, make the light shine AWAY from the car and use a white paper, sheet, cardboard to bounce the light back onto the car. That will diffuse the light and it helps to reduce the harsh shadow lines.

As long as you illuminate your subject by pointing any light source (except light boxes) straight at it you will get harsh shadows so you have to think about how to diffuse the light.

If you have a bunch of hot lights (construction lights) point them towards the ceiling (if the ceiling is WHITE) and use that.

Play a little with the angles - it looks a bit "uninspired".

Keep going!

3. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First was shot in Shutter Priority, the next in Aperture Priority.. The last two were shot in manual, and they are the best out of the bunch.

For the first one, put the camera on a tripod, use a higher F/stop number, get a manual white balance prior to the shot, position of the subject/box so you don't have a reflection in the scene, or use something to block it, OR shoot on a different material.

4. tdiprincess

tdiprincess TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thank you for the tips :) I need to get a tripod.. and I will work again with lighting.. and a blank table cloth next time too!
    I will "use my noodle'' as bitter told me to do in my other CC on the roses and figure out diffusers :)

thanks dominantly for looking that stuff up.. I figured out how to see the f/stop and ISO.. but didn't know where to look in PS for the actual manual, priority settings... where do you find that, PS...another program? oh and nice updates to your 365 project. DH liked them and it makes me want to get started on mine.. I think tomorrow I'll post up one of my shots and just start the ball rolling...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010