CC Pedal Steel

myvinyl333

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.livegigshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have chosen this picture to post from my 2-23-10 Justin Townes Earle show. Interested in others feelings? ( I did nothing to the photo)
4385791674_95dd019970_b.jpg

Well i always wondered what would be a proper exposure for a stage act (band,play,act,etc) ....... from whats expected of a normal exposure i do believe it is not only overexposed but underexposed. My main concern when taking a shot like this is to make sure my "subject" is properly exposed. In this aspect you failed, the stage light has destroyed the subjects detail and caused annoying shadows. The composition is lacking to me because of the wasted space on the right and his elbow is cut off... this is something you should always pay attention to.

Next time, focus on composition .... framing your subject. Then take a few shots (pending on type of lighting?) to see how your exposure comes out. Try to keep your subject propely exposed even if it means the rest isnt. Thats the best advice i can give!

Stage lights are often harsh and without being properly diffused they can cause diffraction .... i think? lol

Well i always wondered what would be a proper exposure for a stage act (band,play,act,etc) ....... from whats expected of a normal exposure i do believe it is not only overexposed but underexposed. My main concern when taking a shot like this is to make sure my "subject" is properly exposed. In this aspect you failed, the stage light has destroyed the subjects detail and caused annoying shadows. The composition is lacking to me because of the wasted space on the right and his elbow is cut off... this is something you should always pay attention to.

Next time, focus on composition .... framing your subject. Then take a few shots (pending on type of lighting?) to see how your exposure comes out. Try to keep your subject propely exposed even if it means the rest isnt. Thats the best advice i can give!

Stage lights are often harsh and without being properly diffused they can cause diffraction .... i think? lol
Thanks for the recommendations. I really like the photo, the shadows as well. Of course it speaks to me from the eye and soul (musically) I do not have the tech knowledge, just an ear with a lens. (LOL)
I refuse to use a flash ...EVER @ a show. So I will keep trying. I really appreciate your feedback..really. jorge

I think the musician's face is rendered a bit "hot" by the spotlight that is aimed at him,and I'd be tempted to take this image down to a much darker overall look. The lighting is very high contrast, and shots like this demand very careful processing from the RAW files. What *I* would do is to make a fairly flat, low-contrast conversion from the RAW file using Nikon Capture NX,and attempt to get as much shadow detail as I could, while still maintaining detail in the brightest part of the musician (His forehead),and then I would use the Curves tool to "punch up" the overall image.

There are a number of ways to "work" or process RAW Files shot in high-contrast light. You could in Nikon Capture lower the exposure .7 stop, and then use the curves tool to adjust the overall scene contrast.

You could use the Active D-Lighting on HIGH,and see how that works.

I know you're new to Nikon and to RAW shooting,and you just happen to be interested in some of the trickiest to meter, highest-contrast lighting most people will shoot at: small-venue, minimally-lighted gigs! It's like starting on Level 10 instead of Level 1. So, your efforts are going up against highly-challenging RAW processing situations.

I think the musician's face is rendered a bit "hot" by the spotlight that is aimed at him,and I'd be tempted to take this image down to a much darker overall look. The lighting is very high contrast, and shots like this demand very careful processing from the RAW files. What *I* would do is to make a fairly flat, low-contrast conversion from the RAW file using Nikon Capture NX,and attempt to get as much shadow detail as I could, while still maintaining detail in the brightest part of the musician (His forehead),and then I would use the Curves tool to "punch up" the overall image.

There are a number of ways to "work" or process RAW Files shot in high-contrast light. You could in Nikon Capture lower the exposure .7 stop, and then use the curves tool to adjust the overall scene contrast.

You could use the Active D-Lighting on HIGH,and see how that works.

I know you're new to Nikon and to RAW shooting,and you just happen to be interested in some of the trickiest to meter, highest-contrast lighting most people will shoot at: small-venue, minimally-lighted gigs! It's like starting on Level 10 instead of Level 1. So, your efforts are going up against highly-challenging RAW processing situations.

I cannot thank you enough for taking time to help a newbie!!!! Very rare to find this amount of effort, multiple times. jorge:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back