CC please -Passing By

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Holly, May 20, 2006.

1. Holly

Holly TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Trying my hand at PEOPLE.. Just people I see on the street, walking by (like this) Etc... What are your thoughts.. What can I do to make this better? Is it ok? thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Cuervo79

Cuervo79 Guest

well, direct sunlight is not allways good on pictures because they make them have more contrast, if you see the shadows are too dark... so sometimes its better to take the pictre (if there are clouds) when one passes and blocks the direct sunlight... sometimes its better to take pictures on a cloudy day and just ad a warming filter...
    other than that its ok.

3. 2framesbelowzero

2framesbelowzero TPF Noob!

Hi Holly,
    I think I would take the shot with the camera horizontally-orientated
    (landscape) rather than vertically/portrait as it is here. I think it gives wider-context to the walker's surroundings and therefore makes the shot more interesting. It's an OK image as it is, I see it's hot and sunny and the person has a bottle of water..nice lawns etc. But I wonder ''what is the wider story to the scene?'' you know ..

4. seven

seven TPF Noob!

If you could see the man's face it would make the shot more interesting, but so would choosing a different composition.

Does nothing for me right now, looks like just a snapshot.

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can't help but agree with seven here on the character of this photo, but then you are saying this was your first attempt.
    We see too little of the person (which is a WOMAN, seven, look closer, a man with such a chest would make me feel sorry for him.... ;)), all is hidden by the hat, and the person has almost passed.
    I do believe that a wider context in the way 2framesbelowzero is suggesting here might have helped, though the bright sunshine really does not.
    This one shows that you were still afraid of taking this photo, and hey: you don't know how well I understand those feelings of self-consciousness!!!

6. Holly

Holly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks !! :) YES Still nervous of taking it.. Ill keep doing it to get use to taking these kinds of photos!

7. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    A couple of hints may help.
    [1] Shoot wide open with a longer lens to blur the background.
    [2] Shoot a slower shutter speed and pan as the person is walking to get motion blur in the background and movement in the feet. Philip.

8. seven

seven TPF Noob!

Haha, whoops. But that only further reinforces my point of seeing their face.