cd's with copyright

minnesota

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just starting up a home studio and was wondering how to get a copyright on a cd so that the customer can't print the pictures off from their home or anywhere else. My sister was telling me about a studio she had her daughter's senior pics taken where the photographer gave her a cd with a copyright on it and she had to order within 10 days or the pics were deleted. She did place her order, but checked the cd a few days later and the pics really were gone. Does anyone know how to do any of this? I would love to be able to put a copyright on the cd and have the pics magically disappear after a certain amount of time.

That sounds like some 007 stuff. I wanna know how to do that 2!

im no IT guy, but i imagine this is possible.
could it make a change in the registry that would cause the files to not be read?

never heard of something like that - the cd would probably have to have some sort of program on it that, if loaded onto a computer, would realize it's been ten days and wipe the disk.

Dunno where you'd find that, there's probably easier means of doing it.

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds interesting...but the fact is that if there is any way for someone to get around security measures like that...they will find a way if they are determined enough.

Some people put a large watermark on the photos but even that doesn't stop some people from printing them and displaying them.

Well its probably just a simple little time access delay action - the images will still be on the CD just that a little exe will be running on autorun when the CD accessed (made even easier if the images are held within some flash program on the CD) which then checks the date of the computers internal clock - cutting off access after a preset date.

Far easier though is just to supply small 600pixel images for print review with a watermark over them - that will defeat most people from using them on the internet and will also prevent printing to any good size (even if they remove the watermark by some tricks).

I've heard of a company that wanted to do something similar with non-returnable movie rentals but I don't know what happened to them.

Anyway, the way it was going to work is that I soon as you put the DVD in your player, a clock would start ticking and you had something like a week to watch the movie before it disappeared/locked up/who knows what. So, the technology exist but unfortunately, that is all I can tell you.

What I would want to know is whether or not the photos can be copied from the CD and, what happens to them then? Are they unusable on the computer also or just on the CD?

Have you tried to google it? I would have but I can't even think of how to word it :grumpy:

I've heard of a company that wanted to do something similar with non-returnable movie rentals but I don't know what happened to them.

Anyway, the way it was going to work is that I soon as you put the DVD in your player, a clock would start ticking and you had something like a week to watch the movie before it disappeared/locked up/who knows what. So, the technology exist but unfortunately, that is all I can tell you.

What I would want to know is whether or not the photos can be copied from the CD and, what happens to them then? Are they unusable on the computer also or just on the CD?

Have you tried to google it? I would have but I can't even think of how to word it :grumpy:

If I remember right you are talking about DIVIX (SP???) I had a friend who bought a DIVIX player thinking it was going to be the next big thing and it ended up a flop. Basically you bought the movie for a couple bucks and it was good for like 24 hours. So you didn't have to fool around with returning it.

I'm just starting up a home studio and was wondering how to get a copyright on a cd so that the customer can't print the pictures off from their home or anywhere else. My sister was telling me about a studio she had her daughter's senior pics taken where the photographer gave her a cd with a copyright on it and she had to order within 10 days or the pics were deleted. She did place her order, but checked the cd a few days later and the pics really were gone. Does anyone know how to do any of this? I would love to be able to put a copyright on the cd and have the pics magically disappear after a certain amount of time.
I don't get what a "cd with a copyright on it....."

Many photographers post a gallery online that is only up for a specified period of time, and then taken down.

Anyone able to do what you describe, is sitting on an untapped goldmine.

Usually, when things sound to good to be true..........they are to good to be true.

Before you get to far along with your home studio you might visit www.copyright.gov .

I don't get what a "cd with a copyright on it....."

A CD with a limited life. Read my last post as well as well as flyin-lowe's. The technology exists but who knows what it is called and how it works exactly.

It's called digital rights management.
You're looking for a program called ProShow

Photodex - ProShow Producer

A bit on the expensive side. There may be other programs but i am not aware of them.

I'm someone that earns their keep in the IT world. Let me say that as soon as there is a picture on the screen or if they can see it, it can be stolen and printed, I do not care what anyone says. Same for "locked and protected PDF files", I can print, copy or do anything I want without much if any effort at all.

When it comes to a product, and you want a copyright on it... make it SMALL (like under 350 pixels on the long side) and place a watermark on it.

Watermarks can still be removed, and small pics can still be printed, just that quality will suffer. For some people, though, that makes no difference and you are still out the money owed to you.

Microsoft does make a technology that prevents people from copying or printing or accessing files on a location after looking at it "X" number of times or for "X" number of days (DRM was mentioned)... but I only need to see something ONCE on my screen (or if it is a sound file, listen to it ONCE), to copy it forever and do anything I want with it. Been there, and done that for a client who just did not get it.

Oh, about DRM... MS left a nasty back door to it. To access the files, you need access to the internet where this server validates your "rights" to see or print or hear this file. By renaming one small local file and cutting internet access temporarily, all security goes down the tubes and you have FULL access to restricted material. See what I mean about true DRM security being a bit of a joke?

Hopefully one day it will improve, but its not here yet, not even close.

As I tell most of my clients... true complete security is a facade... it doesn't exist, never did... never will.

Last edited:
I'm someone that earns their keep in the IT world. Let me say that as soon as there is a picture on the screen or if they can see it, it can be stolen and printed, I do not care what anyone says. Same for "locked and protected PDF files", I can print, copy or do anything I want without much if any effort at all.

When it comes to a product, and you want a copyright on it... make it SMALL (like under 350 pixels on the long side) and place a watermark on it.

Watermarks can still be removed, and small pics can still be printed, just that quality will suffer. For some people, though, that makes no difference and you are still out the money owed to you.

Microsoft does make a technology that prevents people from copying or printing or accessing files on a location after looking at it "X" number of times or for "X" number of days (DRM was mentioned)... but I only need to see something ONCE on my screen (or if it is a sound file, listen to it ONCE), to copy it forever and do anything I want with it. Been there, and done that for a client who just did not get it.

Oh, about DRM... MS left a nasty back door to it. To access the files, you need access to the internet where this server validates your "rights" to see or print or hear this file. By renaming one small local file and cutting internet access temporarily, all security goes down the tubes and you have FULL access to restricted material. See what I mean about true DRM security being a bit of a joke?

As I tell most of my clients... true complete security is a facade... it doesn't exist, never did... never will.

<~~Also from the IT world here

Quoted for Redundancy...Listen to this man!

There is no such thing as foolproof copy protection. All copy protection does is keep honest people honest. If someone really wants the photos, no matter what kind of DRM or copy protection you put on it, there is nothing you can do about it. I'm not a professional photographer by any means, but this is simply something you will have to accept as a cost of doing business. Best copy protection is small, watermarked photos. Other than that, you're probably just wasting your money.

Thanks everyone for all the answers....I have "goggled" for info on this and couldn't find any. I was interested in knowing how she did this....maybe I'll call her....or maybe not....If I do, I'll let you know what she says. Thanks again!

That sounds like some 007 stuff. I wanna know how to do that 2!
Actually Mission Impossible stuff - this CD will self destruct in 5 days...

DITTO

Most reactions

Back