Cell Phone? Not me!

I heard the Unibomber's old cabin is for sale...

you stopped using cellphones for "privacy concerns", but continued using the internet?

Yea....
I'm just going to stop myself right here.

To be fair much of this sounds like when normal data is wiped on any digital recording medium - ergo until its written over even the formatting still leaves the data there and capable of being restored by restoration software. Others sound like its just doing a normal data delete (ergo the location table is delted but not the actual data).

So its about the same as selling your harddrive or memory sticks.

pixmedic said:
you stopped using cellphones for "privacy concerns", but continued using the internet?
Yea....
I'm just going to stop myself right here.

Yeah, the mind boggles...

When I typed in my PIN incorrectly three times and so locked my phone and then realised that I had long since thrown away the packaging and paperwork that came with it and was no longer in possession of the other master number which can be used to reactivate the device in such cases, I decided to leave things at they were. That was about nine months ago and I have not noticed that my life has been affected in a negative way by not being able to make calls 24/7. I know the argument that claims having a mobile phone in case of emergencies is essential, but in all honesty when my car broke down in the middle of nowhere there was no network available anyway and I walked to the next village to get help.

So nine months on I have been reborn into a life that has a private sphere.

See I have mobile phone but I keep it generally switched off unless I have a reason to turn it on such as a really important message or having to call someone. I don't need to be in contact 24*7 with people when most of it is just idle chatter :p

My desktop computer does not move.
They can track a person's movements with a cell phone even if people do not access the Internet with their cell phone.
Most people don't realize there are ways to access the Internet that dramatically limit how much of your personal info exists in cyberspace.

Most people aren't paranoid enough for it to matter.
You might as well just stay in your house and never leave. The government CAN watch you via satellite, tap your phone lines, and use surveillance personnel to keep tabs on you. They don't need you to use the Internet or a cellphone if they really want to find out what you are doing. But if you want to live in the dark ages just to minimize the ways people can access your information, go right ahead.
I am fairly certain most of the ways to hide you "think" are safe, probably really aren't.

Has good captions for all ten of the ways the NSA spies on people.

and that article recommends keeping stuff up in Google drives, docs ,etc ... yeah right. Like that is safe too ??

Just keep your old phone, don't sell it, turn it in, etc.
erase everything, then start downloading misc. pictures to overwrite everything that was deleted.

Just keep your old phone, don't sell it, turn it in, etc.
erase everything, then start downloading misc. pictures to overwrite everything that was deleted.
I prefer this method of getting rid of electronics...

office-space-printer-o.gif

After 3000 messages and the 'Spending Too Much Time on TPF' thingy; THEY, whoever they are, pretty much know where I am - especially if my computer stays put. :)

At least the cell phone is a moving target :bouncingsmileys:

Well I do not worry about it much. First off my phone is strictly a phone. It makes calls, and I guess it can text. Also it does not get much use except for business. I am the type that if I want to talk to someone it is in person.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back