Cell Phone Texting

Blank

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This might seem comical to most, but is cell phone texting really that big a deal? I know a 12yo kid who just ran up a 10,000 texts in a month (5000 sent, 5000 recieved). I have a cell phone and I don't text at all, never have. I suppose my age has something to do with it (approaching 40). The amount of texts people do blows me away. A little math tells me this kid has texted 166 times a day (5000/30). How can it be that relevant? and what ever happened to dialing the telephone number? This should start a good debate between the kids and the parents on this site! Ding, ding.

I text more often than talk.

For one - I can't talk on the phone at work. Texting is more discrete, quicker, and pretty much accepted at work, so I can get away with it.

It's easier for quick questions to/from the wife, or for sending the part number of a bolt or something that I need to my boss (who is usually a half mile away).

5000 a month does seem like a lot though. I probably do 300-400 a month. Maybe 500.

I definitely text more than I talk. Mainly because I don't like talking on the phone with 99% of the people I know. I've sent and received 20,000 texts all together in a month before. It amused me when I found out. Hahaha.

well i talk more than i text... but when i was younger i definitely text more.. its the fastest way to connect with someone and not get interrupted with what you are doing.
clear.gif

I text because it would be hard to get away with my teachers catching me talking on my phone during class lol.

Yesterday I wanted to kick this womans ass that was texting while she was driving. She was hunched over the steering wheel with her sidekick(I think) at 12 o'clock texting and not looking at the road. Then had the nerve to attempt to exit from the middle lane while she was still texting...

All I know is if your have no clue what to study in college kiddies consider being an orthopedic doctor because these young kids thumbs will be in pain by 2015 and also Optometry... They'll all have vision problems... Also an Ontologist... But that's another story.

I just realized I'm officially old.:lol:

I don't even have a cell phone.....

Just don't understand this cell phone craze that we are in the middle of. Especially with adults. Adults constantly with a phone glued to the side of their head, what gives? They can't even be curtious (sp?) to the checkout folks at the store and stand there yapping away while the checkout person is trying to ask them to pay.

That's two different issues. You can't blame it on the technology.

I have not had a land line since 2000. It used to be that cell phones were better for me because long distance doesn't matter. Almost everyone I call is long distance.

Now, I think you can get free long distance on land lines, but I think that's only to compete with cell phones. If cell phones hadn't been offering that service for years, you wouldn't see it on a land line either.

The only problem I have with cell phones is that they can not accept a collect call.

Say you or your best friend gets arrested for whatever reason. You and everyone you know only have a cell phone. There's nobody your friend can call to come bail him out.

I guess thats a reason for not getting arrested
Well, no one plans on it but it's been known to happen.

There are other times when you might need to make a collect call too.

I didn't know you couldn't accept collect calls . . . why not?

I don't know that I text more than I talk. I don't do a TON of either. I use my cell for a whole lot of other stuff, though (iPhone).

. . . why not?

I didn't know why, so I did a little searching. Apparently, it's just too complicated to implement, and the demand is too low.

The cellular providers don't see a lot of money to be had in the collect call business, so they're not going to waste their time setting it up.

Most reactions

Back