cellist in an archway

nabero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any thoughts would be helpful...honest comments and constructive critique are most welcome!

n1230113531199384746cn0.jpg

i like this picture...with no other people in the shot it makes it really dramatic...

it may be a bit soft ...but i still love this picture:thumbup::thumbup:

I really like it and I agree with Hashashin.

In soft it appears the player is slightly out of focus. To me it looks like the forground piller is much sharper than the player who is the subject of the photo

I really like it and I agree with Hashashin.

In soft it appears the player is slightly out of focus. To me it looks like the forground piller is much sharper than the player who is the subject of the photo

Thanks Deepspring :sillysmi:

Yeh, I can see that he's not really in focus so much...I hope it doesn't ruin the photo. I guess now I've had a bit of practice trying to get a semi-decent composition I sound probably focus on trying to operate my camera properly ;)

I think it's really neat. I need cool stuff like that around me to take pictures of! Good job!

It seems like the vertical lines on the left draw my eyes away from the cellist. I tried holding a piece of paper up, just covering the vertical bricks and the cellist seemed to jump out of the picture more.

like just said previously, the brickwork is slightly taking some of the attention from the cellist..

Alternatively if the cellist were just further down the archway this would also really work I think.

But even as is its a very interesting shot, very 'classical' (boom boom).

But even as is its a very interesting shot, very 'classical' (boom boom).

You're so punny :p

I agree that it would look better if he were further down...I tried to slip him a few bucks to move but, you know musicians...pfft...he wasn't accommodating at all! ;)

I'm hesitant to crop out the bricks...as they are the only thing I managed to have in focus in the entire photo...but I'll give it a shot :sillysmi:

What do you think about the coloring? I desaturated it a bit (a bit of a habit at the moment)--do you think it works? or would it look better in b&w or a sepia tone? There's not much color in the original at all...so I have an urge to mess with it a bit...

No one said anything about the light coming from the upper left corner...I added that in with photoshop to give it more depth and try to bring the eye to the musician...Since no one said it was off does that mean it looks alright? (though it doesn't seem to make up for the focus issue taking the eye to the bricks)

Cheers!

I didn't even notice the light until you pointed it out, but now that I see it, I don't like it so much. If the beam was feathered more so it blended into the normal light it would look better. The thing I don't like is that its a solid line.

What you might try is take the blur tool to the wall so the cellist is the sharpest thing you see.

I used to have a focus problem myself. It can be hard on the tiny viewfinder to see exactly where the focus is and then you come home and you notice something is out of focus and you get sad. Someone on this forum suggested this a while ago. I set my camera to only have the center focus spot on. I point the center dot at what I want to be in focus, press the shutter 1/2 way so it locks, then recompose without leting go of the shutter and take the pic. This was I can always see what was selected for focussing.

I didn't even notice the light until you pointed it out, but now that I see it, I don't like it so much. If the beam was feathered more so it blended into the normal light it would look better. The thing I don't like is that its a solid line.

I expected that :sillysmi: I thought it looked really artificial and was surprised no one called me out on it! I didn't know how to make it any more 'natural' looking..I'll try the blur tool, thanks :)

I used to have a focus problem myself. It can be hard on the tiny viewfinder to see exactly where the focus is and then you come home and you notice something is out of focus and you get sad.
Oh yes, I know that "aww...poo :(" feeling very well!

Thanks for your help :goodvibe:

I used to have a focus problem myself. It can be hard on the tiny viewfinder to see exactly where the focus is and then you come home and you notice something is out of focus and you get sad. Someone on this forum suggested this a while ago. I set my camera to only have the center focus spot on. I point the center dot at what I want to be in focus, press the shutter 1/2 way so it locks, then recompose without leting go of the shutter and take the pic. This was I can always see what was selected for focussing.

I'm going to try that, thanks! I didn't have the focus problem for a long time, but lately I've been using a more shallow depth of field for a lot of things, and I've had a number of frustrating results.

Nabero, You might miss the bricks because they're the only thing in focus, but if there is nothing in focus, it might make it less obvious that the cellist is out of focus!:sexywink: (Fuzzy logic rocks, fuzzy subjects do not.:))

this image follows many classic rules (for example I can see lots of thirds in it ;) ) but it suffers a bit from a lack of crispiness and exposure on the main subject. postprocessing might help to increase the contrast a bit.

I would give it either more contrast/saturation, or less saturation.

but apart from that it is a pleasing shot. :)

Agreed that the bricks on the left draw my eye away from the subject. Don't just keep them in because they're in focus (imo).

I also think the image would benefit greatly from a bit of curves in PS too.

Overall though, I like it. The repetition of the archways is a super interesting backdrop.

Most reactions

Back