Cemetery Rays

I see what you were going for, but I don't think it works, in my humble opinion. of the two I think the B&W one is better, but neither strikes me as the usual Invisible stuff :(

Thanks, Dmitri. I've visited a couple cemeteries in the last few months and haven't been able to produce a single shot that I absolutely like. This one is probably the cream of the crop. As soon as I saw the sun rays through those trees I knew I had to shoot them. I also liked this particular tombstone quite a bit, with its texture and its vibrant orange mold.

All the above being said, I'm not sure why this photo is not working. Is it the angle (which I think I like)? Is the comp not quite there? Is the lens not wide enough? Is this just another cemetery shot? Is the light good enough? Maybe the post-processing is lacking? I don't have an answer for any of these questions yet.

The only thing I can really say is that the "rays" seem more like patches of light and shadow, like any snapshot would have. I know what you were aiming for, but it doesn't come across. Other than that, I'm not really sure. You're photos are usually much more 'dynamic', or powerful. This just seems... not very dynamic.

Again, in my humble opinion. Maybe someone else could give better answers :(

I'd have taken it a bit earlier (if sunrise) or a bit later (if sunset) so that the light stretches all the way to the subject. Still, pretty cool lighting.

The only thing I can really say is that the "rays" seem more like patches of light and shadow, like any snapshot would have.
Indeed. I should have used a smaller aperture. More DOF would have given me well-defined "rays". Had I chosen a smaller aperture, the main element in the foreground would still have been strong enough to overpower whatever is in the background.

I'd have taken it a bit earlier (if sunrise) or a bit later (if sunset) so that the light stretches all the way to the subject.
Absolutely! This was maybe 15 minutes before sunset. I should have waited just a little bit more.

Thanks, guys! These two ideas might be, at the very least, part of the answer.

(By the way... epp_b, what part of Manitoba are you in?)

Hey, have you checked out the "Dark Side" forum.....lots of great inspiration there!!!!

;O)

The dark side is just not my cup of tea :) However, Chiller's photos make me go back every once in a while...

What makes you think I'm a 'toban?
I did a search for "Manitoba" here on TPF a couple of days ago. One of the hits was a post in which you mentioned you lived in the province... It might have been an old post, though...

The dark side is just not my cup of tea :) However, Chiller's photos make me go back every once in a while...

Alrighty then......:confused: I thought...you enjoy taking pics at the cemetery....Oh well...? :blushing:

Anyway....yes, Chiller is fantastic!!!!!!!!

I did a search for "Manitoba" here on TPF a couple of days ago. One of the hits was a post in which you mentioned you lived in the province... It might have been an old post, though...
Indeed; eagle-eyed one you are. I was just curious ;)

Yes, I'm in Southern Manitoba.

it looks rather like any other cemetary shot until you put it in black and white and then the shadows add a lot to it

You know, I have YET to see an interesting cemetary shot... which boggles my mind. I find cemetaries fascinating, and I love staring at them or hanging out in them. (Chiller would be proud) And yet... every pic I ever take of anything in one? SNOOOOOZEEEE...

I don't get it.

Most reactions

Back