Central Minnesota (7) - Suggestions / critiques welcome!

kc0ltv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's the set:

1. Part of the campground. I don't think this picture is especially good, but I think the trees in the background are kind of dull. I face this problem all the time when shooting in forests....can anybody help me here?

23u9yj5.jpg

#2: Middle Cullen Lake, near sunset. I ran into it while going the wrong way on a bike ride. It's one of hundreds, if not thousands of lakes in the area.

23u9zfd.jpg

#3: More Middle Cullen lake.

23ua1k9.jpg

#4: The swampy part of the lake.

23ua249.jpg

#5: See #4

23ua2w2.jpg

#6 - Typical road. Where I ended my bike ride and turned around:

23ua4xw.jpg

#7: Just a ring of trees.

23ua5ft.jpg

Which is your favorite? Please comment on them!

Well I'm no expert so ignore me if you like, but i have nothing better to do at 3.00 in the morning. :lol:

1. Seems a bit boring to me, theres nothing in it.
2. I quite like it, but it's blown out (correct term?) which I also do alot :(
3.My favourite :D I would have got lower personally but still I like it :D
4.I like this one also. The reflections in the water are great :D
5 and 6. Dunno what to say.
7. Quite like this one but would have been ace if the sun was behin the trees.

nitefly said:
Well I'm no expert so ignore me if you like, but i have nothing better to do at 3.00 in the morning. :lol:

1. Seems a bit boring to me, theres nothing in it.

I know :). I posted it because I was curious about the problem I mentioned.

kc0ltv said:
Here's the set:
... I think the trees in the background are kind of dull. I face this problem all the time when shooting in forests....can anybody help me here?

It looks like the leaves are a bit overexposed. The camera doesn't have the dynamic range to record everything in a scene like that. It looks like you exposed for the areas in shadow so everything in direct sunlight is overexposed.
If you expose for the areas in sunlight the areas in shadow will be too dark. You have to decide which part is more inportant.
Im not sure what kind of camera you are using but if you can get a polarizing filter for it you will see a very dramatic difference. The filter will block all of the glare from the leaves making them alot less bright resulting in a nice rich green color.

Come on, people! Tell me more!

I'm especially worried about the composition. Please give me tips so I can improve. Don't be afraid to say the pictures are poorly done or anything.

I'm new at all of this too but I really like 3 and 5 they are the most appealing to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back