Central Park

it was getting dark so I wanted to capture what I saw not what it looked like an hour ago.

i understand what your saying... however, the darkness doesnt make for a good picture... I mean, i can sit in the middle of my house at 3am and take a pic with no lights on and, yes its a great shot of what i'm seeing.. but that doesnt make it a good picture...

well it all depends on the perspective. some people might love pictures taken at 3am with no light at all.

Well, I like to see some of Central Park as it looks just now, in winter, with bits of snow and a lot of dusk, of which there seems to be so much around at this time of the year (on the northern hemisphere) with the days being sooo short. Though I do agree that dusk only really "works" with new lights adding themselves to the picture to make a photo really "live". I feel that there's just enough of it there in 3 to still give the photo some "life" while representing dusk at the same time.

Though I also like the bridge in one (a bit too centrally composed here) because I can think back and tell myself "My feet have touched that very same spot once in my life, too", and i like that feeling ;).

For night time photos you might not have brought the necessary equipment, which is why I guess the last became a bit of a risk in taking and you had to go for the lowest exposure you could still risk, which did underexpose the photo, yes, but ... with the lights and reflections ... it's ok.

As to Manhattan being dangerous or Brooklyn being even more dangerous, I might add that I as a tourist in April of 2006 found NYC to be totally non-dangerous, there was not ONE moment in which I ever felt I was in any danger at all. Not in Manhattan, not in Queens, not in Brooklyn, not with the camera packed away nor with the camera packed out. I was positively surprised!

As to Manhattan being dangerous or Brooklyn being even more dangerous, I might add that I as a tourist in April of 2006 found NYC to be totally non-dangerous, there was not ONE moment in which I ever felt I was in any danger at all. Not in Manhattan, not in Queens, not in Brooklyn, not with the camera packed away nor with the camera packed out. I was positively surprised!

What time were you out? When I go shooting at like about 22:00 i either go with someone or look back like every 10 seconds lol

OK, well, we were waiting for the bus to take us to the airport (JFK) at the end of Line 3 at New Lots Ave at some time around noon, so that was in broad daylight and therefore not so much of a problem, I assume. While we were waiting, among others I also took this_photo at the time, very, very, VERY much to DH's dismay, who "saw" (imagined!) them pull out a bat already at any time to do us in an steal my cameras, but nothing happened.

i've done some evening/night shots in central park before in the winter. or tried to. it's difficult getting decent or at least interesting shots on a cloudy day. if i were you, i'd boost the iso by a little - play around with it. at evening, it really brings out the scene. last time i was walking around the park with a friend and did not have my camera, i used her point and shoot to take a picture of the cityscape from the park; a little boost of iso made the sky and lights look gorgeous.

i've done some evening/night shots in central park before in the winter. or tried to. it's difficult getting decent or at least interesting shots on a cloudy day. if i were you, i'd boost the iso by a little - play around with it. at evening, it really brings out the scene. last time i was walking around the park with a friend and did not have my camera, i used her point and shoot to take a picture of the cityscape from the park; a little boost of iso made the sky and lights look gorgeous.
I'll go there again when It gets warmer but next stop: Coney Island in the winter. BTW where from NYC are you?

jamaica estates, queens.
coney island? how much of it did they demolish? last time i went was last winter. i'm unsure how much of it is left.

that's why Im acctually going there to see how it looks like now. Going this tuesday with my friend. Hope they have somehing left to photograph lol. All I heard is that they are leaving the cyclone and getting rid of everything else. Last time I went there was septrmber I think and everything was still running.

Way too underexposed, and is just a narrative of your visit, not compelling or interesting in the least.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back