CF card readers

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by uplander, Apr 20, 2008.

1. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have always downloaded my pics from both my 10D and 40D by USB cable from camera. I think I would like to just start using a card reader to do this. So I am solicititing recomendations for a card reader. I am a PC userboth XP and Vista.

Actually a little pro and con debate to educate me would be usefull;)

2. bemmermazda

bemmermazda TPF Noob!

I went to staples and spent 30$ on a sony reader. it can do sd cards, compact (type l and ll) and those little sony duo cards. it works fine.

3. yeti

yeti TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Unlike you, I STILL use a USB cable to download my pictures, but I was looking at a CF card reader at one point. I ended up looking at the SanDisk Extreme Reader. I think it comes in Firewire version too, if you have one.

I didn't buy it, mostly because I forgot the last time I was near a computer store: Security stopped me for committing the unspeakable crime of carrying a backpack. :)

4. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have some old sandisk one. Works fine. Nice since it doesnt drain camera battery.

5. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used to use the USB cable to the camera, but after picking up a multi-card reader, I find it much easier. Any card reader will do. I don't think any brand is going to be much different than any other. Do get a USB 2.0 if your computer supports it, this does make a BIG difference.

6. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just recently switched to the Sandisk Extreme Firewire CF Card Reader on my PC.
    I got tired of the slow speeds from USB, I added the Firewire card on the PC for about $20 plus the cost of the reader and I could not be happier. I use mostly 2 and 4 gig cards and running Vista and a 4 Gig card use to take just about an hour to download with the fire wire reader it takes around 5 min.

7. Mystwalker

Mystwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Card readers are cheap nowadays - anywhere from $9-$39 ... I see this @ Frys, Best Buy, Circuit City, Longs Drugs etc ... You can also find them on newegg.com, and I bet Adorama and B&H also have them.

With exception of "name brand" (Sandisk, Lexar), they are pretty much the same.

I like the ones that do not require you to install a device driver - these things should be "plug and play", do not understand why it even needs a driver. I will the cheapest one - $19.99, I-Connect ... generic brand.

8. 3.14

3.14 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been using an INOi Photo Hardisk for about 3 or 4 years now. It is about the size of an ipod and has a 20GB hard drive. It works great. Once a card fills while I am out shooting all day I load it into the card reader and upload from there when I get home.

9. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use the card reader built into the side of my monitor, or else I have a little USB 2.0 hispeed reader that works fine. When building new PCs for friends or family, I usually recommend installing a card reader built into the 3½" floppy drive bay.

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The USB port is the first point of failure on most of them. I used a cheap reader for ages then I wanted to clean my desk. I now use a cheap $20 internal 3.5" reader that sits where my floppy drive used to. No more cable fuss.

11. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have no doubt that Firewire is faster than USB... but wow, you were not at USB 2.0 speeds. I have an 8GB card and using a standard USB 2.0 interface, on a totally filled card, it doesn't take me more than 14 minutes to transfer via USB 2.0 interface external card reader. 4 GIG at about 7 min... compared to your 5 min, that sounds about right.

Along the same topic, I would never connect my camera to my computer. It has happened many times that a power surge from the USB port fried the camera's electronics. I would prefer it take out the card instead of the camera, so $35 is cheap insurance. It doesn't happen often, but it only takes once.

I decided never to take that chance.

12. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another nice thing about a card reader is that theres less danger of your camera getting tugged off your desk and breaking as it hits the floor. I know that with 2 sisters and 4 cats this is and all to real issue that i like to solve with a card reader