CF to SD converters?

tonguey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I just bought a 400D (which takes CF) for my mother, but I didn't realize she had a load of SD cards already. What's the best CF to SD converter out there? I'm looking for something that will fit in the compartment itself so that you can actually close the lid. Also, will there be a speed/performance difference when using an adapter? Thanks in advanced!!

I think you may be out of luck. Adapters which fully enclose the SD card are nearly always CF Type II which are 5mm thick. Because CF and SD are so different in their signalling a converter chip must be placed on the adapter. The CF Type I cards used in cameras are only 3.3mm thick and I haven't seen any where the card fully fits into the adapter.

You could maybe try selling the idea that CF cards are much more reliable to your mother :)

400D takes CF II cards... I think...

* I've seen adapters but I've heard of people having difficulties with them. Especially with higher capacity SD cards.
* The adapters themselves can cost as much as some large capacity CF cards
* It is rather cumbersome to change.

My recommendation is to go ahead and get some CF for the 400D. They are not too expensive. If you don't have anything that takes SD cards, you can always sell them bulk cheaply.

btw.. a quick search on Amazon yielded a few.... all are no-name brands. There were a few brand name adapters a while back but they stop making them.

If it is not too late and you have the means, you could always return the 400D and get a 450D which takes SD cards.

CF cards are inexpensive. I would seel the SDs on Craigs List and, get some good quality CFs.

Just checked yes, the 400D does take TypeII as well, but still you're not doing yourself any favours. Note that these cards also have a limited write/rewrite life. If the cards are more than 1 or 2 years old depending on their use it's probably a good idea to bin them anyway.

If speed is of no concern, fake CF cards (generally meaning slow ones) can be bought of ebay for a song. I used one for a full year, you only notice it when you shoot at some 5 frames a second anyway, or if you're impatient when loading them onto the computer.

Sheesh... when you can get a near top of the line SANDisk Exteme IV 8 GB for $105, I see no reason to use either adapters or cheap CF cards that are simply crap.

Check at one of the forum sponsors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back