Chair City

clbowie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.clbowie.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went to visit my family this weekend in Thomasville, NC. Their annual Christmas parade took place on Saturday. The kids loved every minute of it, even if we did stand outside in 33 degree temps for 1.5 hours!

Thomasville was once a booming furniture industry town that was full of life and prosperity. Now it's empty and run down. The furniture mills have been replaced with flea markets. The trains still make their runs through town, but with no stops. I was hoping to capture that feeling.

p410251741-3.jpg

p621370982-3.jpg

p742996847-3.jpg

p803008903-3.jpg

p873803196-3.jpg

It shows best in Photos 2 and 3, I think.
No one there, houses more ruins than houses - emptiness. B&W serves the purpose.

I love pictures like that! But one is left wondering-why does your family stay?

I love pictures like that! But one is left wondering-why does your family stay?

No kidding! Most of my family has moved out. My one Aunt is still happily living there along with a 3rd cousin. They are all up in age and retired and living on SS incomes, pensions, etc. They have no reason to leave.

What I see when I visit are older people living on fixed incomes and squeaking by. They don't like change and will pass on in T'ville. Some of the younger ones I observe are not educated enough to make it elsewhere.

What I see when I visit are older people living on fixed incomes and squeaking by. They don't like change and will pass on in T'ville.

I get it now... and they also don't need jobs, which enables them to stay.. Great pictures, anyway.

Most reactions

Back