chance, in and out of focus.

newrmdmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok, so here is what i want to here about, not if you like it or not or somthing random.

i want to know what you think about his nose/closest places on face not being in focus . . . the eyes are sharp and i think it kind of gives it a little more depth than if it was all tac sharp. also i think it draws you to the eyes better with it out of focus.

what do you think? does it work?

chancesml.jpg

Not exactly....Suggest you try using a deeper DOF, a smaller aperture, and focus on the nose instead. Your DOF now is from the nose to the ears

Post the difference when you can.

Yea... The nose bugs me.

the nose doesn't so much bug me as the contrast on his cheeks. They are distracting me from the eyes.

I love this shot! I am really drawn to the subjects eyes. The soft nose is an after thought for me. Eye level head on is a tough deal in portraits. Lets see one with aperture stopped down.

Not much, but just a little too much on the bridge and a bit of the forehead.

I like that to me, he looks like he's thinking with his eyes open rather than staring at something.

thanks guys . . . it doesn't bother me too much, but i can see how it would.

cosmonaut f/11 f/16 wasn't even an option . . . and i wouldn't stop it down that much anyways.

one thing that i like about it is how there is more depth to the face, while had it been stopped down the compression would have made it seem so much flatter.

thanks for letting me know what you all think!

I think you accomplished what you were trying to do...there is plenty of depth and they eyes do stand out. However, the nose is distracting.

I think there is a weird feel because the head on pose/angle doesn't seem to fit with the very shallow DOF. Maybe if the angle was different and only one eye was sharp, or if he was looking in a different direction...it would 'feel' more right. Perhaps if he was looking up, rather than straight ahead, the shallow DOF would feel better...hard to tell. This is just how I feel about it...no more, no less.

Most reactions

Back