Changing lenses in the field

Dweller

Inconspicuous Supporter
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you guys handle lens changes when you are out and about taking shots?

I have 3 lenses and a 2x teleconverter and a few filters and find myself fumbling to juggle all of this stuff in and out of the bag while making changes for different shots. The bag I have is partly to blame for this I think. I imagine something that would allow me to drop lenses in vertically would be more convenient but I have to work with what I have for now.

The lenses I have are 28mm 2.8 a 50mm 1.8 and a 70-200 4.0 that I am not completely happy with but its the only zoom I have so I find it coming out at least once a session.

Any tips? I have considered a second body (both to keep a different film loaded and for a different lens configuration ready to go) and a different bag but have not found the right one.

I currently only have 2 lenses (Kit 28-105mm and 17-40mm) but I have a small bag to carry them in. I can never keep either lens on while traveling because it wont fit in the bag so I am always having to take it on and off.
What I normally do if I am switching lenses is I place the lens I am switching to upside in my bag and unskrew the back cover. Then I take the lens off my camera, put the cover from the other lens onto it and quickly place the other lens onto the camera. I normally try to do this quickly because many times I am out in the woods where there are things floating around everywhere. Using a tripod always make it much easier.

I am currently looking into purchasing a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II Backpack. I'm sure I will have to use the same method to change lenses but atleast I will be able to leave a lens on my body (My first backpack broke the second week I had it.

I use the same method vonDrehle uses; lens off the body, rear cap on, second lens on the body. BTW, you won't be worry about the bag purchase, I've got a Rover II AW, which is perfect for hiking my stuff into the areas where I often do landscape/nature shoots.

tirediron said:
I use the same method vonDrehle uses; lens off the body, rear cap on, second lens on the body. BTW, you won't be worry about the bag purchase, I've got a Rover II AW, which is perfect for hiking my stuff into the areas where I often do landscape/nature shoots.

I usually try to do this, with six things hanging round my neck, and make a pigs ear (mess) of it.

Think it's time for a new bag

I travel for business weekly and "TSA regulations" (for some unknown reason, the screeners are prone to asking if I'd like to supersize.... *end of rant*) make a formal camera bag difficult.

I use individual padded Tamrac cases for my 18-70mm and 70-300mm which also come in handy during the "lense shuffle", especially when I'm primarily using one and have a brief need for the other.

Basically, I tuck the swapped lense into its case (which protects it) and mount the other. When I'm fortunate enough to have my Photographer's Assistant at hand, I ask that they hold a spare lense (hopefully with the same tender, loving care I would).

There are no "good" solutions to this problem but I am intrigued by a very promising 50-500mm lense I saw.....

vonDrehle said:
I currently only have 2 lenses (Kit 28-105mm and 17-40mm) but I have a small bag to carry them in. I can never keep either lens on while traveling because it wont fit in the bag so I am always having to take it on and off.
What I normally do if I am switching lenses is I place the lens I am switching to upside in my bag and unskrew the back cover. Then I take the lens off my camera, put the cover from the other lens onto it and quickly place the other lens onto the camera. I normally try to do this quickly because many times I am out in the woods where there are things floating around everywhere. Using a tripod always make it much easier.

Agreed... go look at bags and find one that will really suite how you move and handle your equipment. A good bag will definatilly help alot with this.

I also make sure I always carry lenses clothes a soft microfiber cloth or two and a babies nose sucker to blow things of sensers or in tightspots on lenses etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back