Changing my religion.

mygrain

Friend to nose goblins everywhere
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a huge fan of film photography and will continue to use it, but as a practicing photographer- economically speaking- I had to invest in a digital SLR. Spend a llittle upfront to save mega later on. My digital Rebel came in the mail yesterday and HOLY COW!!! I love it!! Maybe is the new camera smell-lol. I can't believe I dissed digital so hard before. On top of the high quality images there is NO MORE scanning, no more lab buttheads, no more high cost of printing, and I can do all of my own processing with the greatest of ease.

So all of you Digital heads out there you have a new brother!!!

Not that I don't like digital photography. I think all but a couple of the photo's I've posted here have been taken with an old digital point and shoot. But I never understand why people think digital photography is cheaper. When you upgrade you OS will your camera be compatible? If you decide to not upgrade because of that reason, what happens if the camera breaks? You'll have to buy a new camera and OS at the same time. Then you come to printers and other stuff.... A digital camera will only last as long as Microsoft (if you use windows) says it will. In ten years time the camera may work perfectly. You just won’t be able to use it.

Sorry. Just had to say it. If you're a pro, then it's a different story. Good luck with the new camera and I hope you like it. Make sure it's around your neck at all times. Or I may have to "borrow" it. :mrgreen:

well, my card reader will work with any operating system that suports usb drives...whether its ME, 2000, or XP....

so im not sure what you mean by that.

as far as the camera lasting longer, i think there is no difference between a digital and film. as far as 40 years from now, yeah, you might be right.

md

MDowdey said:
well, my card reader will work with any operating system that suports usb drives...whether its ME, 2000, or XP....

so im not sure what you mean by that.

md

ditto.

I have OS X and haven't experienced any problems. nowadays card readers are really cheap, you'll have to spend about 12 $ for a mass storage usb drive which supports usb 2.0

Hmm... I know nothing about card readers as I don't use one. My camera plugs straight into the computer USB port (I said it was old ;)). With card readers, you plug it into your pc, plug the card into the reader and off you go? Are they cheap? Looks like I may have to re-think my thinking about that side of things then. :)

yeah, you put your card (doesn't matter wheter it's memory stick, compact flash etc.) into the card reader and momma, you can see it's content in your explorer (finder, konqueror, depends on your Os).

ferny said:
Hmm... I know nothing about card readers as I don't use one. My camera plugs straight into the computer USB port (I said it was old ;)). With card readers, you plug it into your pc, plug the card into the reader and off you go? Are they cheap? Looks like I may have to re-think my thinking about that side of things then. :)

yeah! get a card reader...some of them(if not all) can read anytype of card. therefore you never have to plug your camera into the computer again. it works with any OS and its quick.

md

I have a card reader built into my printer... no need for a pc unless you want to edit the images first... having said that I don't have a digital slr (yet) bring on the 20d!

I'm a huge fan of film photography and will continue to use it,
:( Oh sure, you say you'll continue to use film. Some day you will be cleaning out the old closet and there will be your old camera covered in dust! :(

I bought a card reader that reads any type of card for like $12, and I bought a USB 2.0 pci card for $5. It doesn't matter what OS you have.

Digital Matt said:
I bought a card reader that reads any type of card for like $12,

I think thats the one I have.

I have heard that it is not good for the camera to be directly connected to the PC to download the pics. Is there any truth in it? If so, why?

Most reactions

Back