changing my walking around lens, advice on canon

mxracer32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.easterndirt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ive got 3 lenses, sigma 24-70 f2.8, sigma 70-300 f4 and peleng 8mm fisheye. 24-70 is my walking around lens, but it is not an HSM lens, so the focus is slow for my taste when coupled with my 20d. i was not aware of the difference when i purchased it. now i want to buy used lens from ebay/craigslist to try out, a canon USM, to see if i can tell the difference and whether or not its worth it to me to sell the 24-70 i have now, and upgrade to something with a faster af. thoughts? canon 28-80, 28-105, and a canon 28-135 are what im considering, to use. they seem to be priced under 200 on ebay used and thats about where i want to be for a 'trial' lens. thoughts on this?

The 28-135 IS, is a decent 'walk-around' lens but you would probably miss the F2.8 aperture of your Sigma lens. Same deal with the others you listed.

To me, the maximum aperture is a much more important factor than the focus speed.

i agree, but the 2.8's are much more expensive, and i just plan to try this out, i shoot more sports (motocross) then anything and a fast focus is important. like i said its just for trial, if really think i need the usm, then i will sell both the 24-70 and whatever i pick up, and put the $ towards a canon 24-70 2.8 with usm, or sigma's version with hsm.

Then you should be focusing on buying a lens for motocross, not walking around with.

Keep in mind that the 20D's center focus point is better (cross type vs linear) when you are using lenses with a max aperture of F2.8 or larger. So even if you get a lens with a faster motor, the camera might have a harder time.

Ideally, in this range I'd recommend the 24-70mm F2.8 L or the 24-105mm F4 L IS...but those are not inexpensive lenses.

ive got 3 lenses, sigma 24-70 f2.8, sigma 70-300 f4 and peleng 8mm fisheye. 24-70 is my walking around lens, but it is not an HSM lens, so the focus is slow for my taste when coupled with my 20d. i was not aware of the difference when i purchased it. now i want to buy used lens from ebay/craigslist to try out, a canon USM, to see if i can tell the difference and whether or not its worth it to me to sell the 24-70 i have now, and upgrade to something with a faster af. thoughts? canon 28-80, 28-105, and a canon 28-135 are what im considering, to use. they seem to be priced under 200 on ebay used and thats about where i want to be for a 'trial' lens. thoughts on this?

I have the canon 28-135 and its a great walk around lens the only thing i have heard people complain about is the part of the lense that telescopes out shakes a little but mine is just fine. I wanna upgrade to the 24-105L glass now thats a sweet lens but pricey. about a G

i agree, but the 2.8's are much more expensive, and i just plan to try this out, i shoot more sports (motocross) then anything and a fast focus is important. like i said its just for trial, if really think i need the usm, then i will sell both the 24-70 and whatever i pick up, and put the $ towards a canon 24-70 2.8 with usm, or sigma's version with hsm.

Then you really need a fast lens like your Sigma.

Very rarely when I'm walking around with the 28-135 do I wish for a faster lens. I actually stop down quite often. So if you're walking out in the day you shouldn't have a problem.

BUT, when I'm indoors, I could not stand to have that as my only lens. I use the 50 1.4 much more indoors.

Most reactions

Back