Changing pre-sets

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i just got my 400D and wondered what pre-sets i should change and why. Thanks!

Hi can anyone offer any advise. I have got so many pictures now but not quite sure what to do with them. I originally thought i would try selling direct to magazines. Then i looked into picture libraries, but apparently they are very difficult to get in to. I have just read up about Picture stock which is a distribution agency. A sort of middle man between photographer and picture library. Any ideas?

Haha, that was hillarious! No need to be ANAL about it.

All i wanted to know is if there are pre-sets that you get the camera with that in YOUR opinion should be changed. Mind you, this is my first digi.

None in my opinion. It is more effective to do those things in the post process.

I'm with fmw on this one.
The only preset I've changed on my 5D is to extend the ISO settings to include 50 and 3200.
all the others are left as is.

And i'd definitely advise against using the camera to make any permanent adjustments using the screen as your monitor. download to a pc and make the changes to a copy keeping the original.

always keep the original even if it's a jpeg.

I agree. If you want to just take quick snaps and don't care about editing, then the in-camera adjustments can help, but I much prefer to put everything to neutral and do it in software afterwards.

I don't know if your camera has it, but I also use custom function 4 to move the auto focus from the shutter button to the asterisk under your thumb. And like darich, I expanded the ISO.

http://creativekarma.com/ee.php/web...ion_4_on_the_canon_eos_digital_rebel_xt_350d/

I personally prefer CF4-1 over 4-3. I rarely shoot bursts, so I can half-press the shutter button to lock exposure, and the asterisk deals with focus. I can get exposure and focus from two different areas, then recompose and trip the shutter.

Aim at point I want to have focus and momentarily press asterisk.
Aim at point I want to expose for and half-press shutter.
Recompose for shot and then press shutter rest of the way.

Most of the time I don't have to worry about step two, but it's there if I need it.

Ok...so how do i put it back to neutral? :)

Check your manual. It should tell you how to turn off things like sharpening and the like. I'm not sure how much the 400D has on by default. I shoot RAW, so I don't have to worry about it.

So i just got my 400D and wondered what pre-sets i should change and why. Thanks!

Leave the presets alone. You should have 3 custom presets you can create for the XTI. Play with those and develop ones you like. Copy some of the settings for one of the presets, use them for a starting point and adjust the custom set to your liking.

I created one in my 30D for my wife. It is basicly in camera processing to P&S standards as she does not want to mess with post processing. Just shoot and print.

http://creativekarma.com/ee.php/web...ion_4_on_the_canon_eos_digital_rebel_xt_350d/

I personally prefer CF4-1 over 4-3. I rarely shoot bursts, so I can half-press the shutter button to lock exposure, and the asterisk deals with focus. I can get exposure and focus from two different areas, then recompose and trip the shutter.

Aim at point I want to have focus and momentarily press asterisk.
Aim at point I want to expose for and half-press shutter.
Recompose for shot and then press shutter rest of the way.

Most of the time I don't have to worry about step two, but it's there if I need it.

Thanks Mark. I tried setting my 5D to CF4-1 last night and know how the focus works. When i press the asterisk it focuses using whichever focus point i have selected.

For the exposure, i assume the camera uses the same point but focusing is now ignored?

Exposure doesn't use the focus points. It depends on how it's set, like "evaluative" or "spot". Even though that article cautions against it, I often use evaluative with no problems, but I'm using AI server for focus mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back