Characteristics of different camera brands

whattokingu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I have not committed to any brands of cameras yet, but would be soon. So here's the question.
What is the general characteristics of the different digital systems(nikon, alpha, canon, 4/3)?
I know the 4/3 zuiko have nice colours, but does that mean canon and nikon lens do not?

I know it is hard to generalise as it depends on the different lens.

but is it possible to draw any general characteristics of the different camera systems?

Oh dear, the can of worms has been opened again. Tbh, it does not really matter what you use, there is not too much beween brands, especaily canon and nikon.

P.s. Dont tell those canon using scumbags i said that

Well, I am not saying one brand is worse than the other and people saying that is obviously a fanboy, but there must at least be some advantage one particular system have over another in some areas. I mean there are so many lens makers that make lens for a particular system only.

I have been trying different kinds of photography, but generally, I feel that I would like to do street and a little indoor shoots of still life, those with very controlled lighting.
I have seen photos(no PP) done and it seems to me that there really is a difference between difference lens system use.
I am basically just trying to confirm this. I would not say my opinion as it is based on very limited experience, but I am sure there are some people in the forum that have used most systems and would like to seek their opinion.

Cameras are only better than each other in context, hassys are possibly the 'best' camreas money can buy, but you would get 100x better shots out of a slr in a warzone or a jungle. A lamborghini is better than a land rover, if you aint driving over a mountain.

For street photography you might be best off with a compact or one of the tiny olumpus slrs

Nikon/Canon...blah blah.

Its all the same. There isn't an generality about either that you could make because as soon as one brand one-ups another, the other comes back with a model that one-ups the previous.

You will only see an advantage when stepping up to a new rendition of an old model.

In other words, you can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon...don't stress it.

I was in the same shoes as you last month, I went with the Canon. I have noticed that the used market (craigslist etc) seems to have more options for the Nikons. I also noticed that Nikon lens generally seem to be a bit cheaper in price.

With that said, I still am glad with my Canon purchase. I chose Canon because of the "feel" in my hands. I knew they would both take great pictures, so I went with the camera that "felt" best in my hands.

Another thing, Nikon has more sale price offers than Canon...but if you wait, Canon eventually has sales as well. I waited for a Canon sale and got my Canon XS for 549.99. Canon XS competed with the Nikon 60 and Nikon 3000. Nikon 60 can routinely be purchased for 549.99 as its regular price (now its outdated) and the Nikon 3000 for 599.99 now.

I probably didn't really help you any, but long story short, both Nikon or Canon would be a good choice. Don't know about the other brands much.

Put aside any recommendations that deal with brand. Focus only on features. Check the reviews and see what the pros thought. See if you could find a comparison review that shows pictures of the same subject taken with several cameras. And be sure to go to a store and physically hold the camera and see how it feels in your hand.

It's a well-known fact that owning a Nikon will improve your sex life.
That's true, and the same can be said for Canon ownership. The difference is, Canon owners usually have partners.

Well, I am not saying one brand is worse than the other and people saying that is obviously a fanboy, but there must at least be some advantage one particular system have over another in some areas. I mean there are so many lens makers that make lens for a particular system only.

All cameras will take great pictures if you know how to use them. If you're really worried about the characteristics then go to a camera store and shoot a pictures with both and make your choice.

Nikon camera bodies are noted as having better ergonomics than the other brands. But even with that, it's more a personal preference issue. Regardless, we humans are very good at adapting to slight ergonomic differences.

You may want to think about the fact that 80% of the DSLR market is just about evenly split between Nikon and Canon. The remaining 20% is shared by Sony, Pentax, Olympus, et al.

That means the 3rd party lens makers don't offer as many choices with Sony, Pentax, Olympus, et al mounts and ther can also be a darth of other aftermarket accessories available for the less sold brands.

Most reactions

Back