Chase Day 042607... Will this be the day?

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
NOPE!!!!!!!!!!! But that's ok because I knew that there was not the right conditions for tornados. Here's the little story of my trip. I just wanted to get out today after a hard days work (really bad day), so I dicided to take some pictures of some clouds today. Looking south, I could see a great darkness enveloping the southwest.

474281911_eccab1a837_o.jpg

(and by the way who names a city "Joes"?)

My sister wanted to come along (as she almost always does) and with a little bit of filling up of my gas tank I was on my way. As I was leaving a small town in the area a fantastic photo opportunaty arose.

474253334_b50a8b4bdb.jpg

474243088_dad3dfc77c.jpg

474243092_c0c1d7d8e2.jpg

I couldn't get much more out of this place and I stil wanted to get closer, and so our journey continued south. We kept heading south until the road turned into dirt in front of us forcing us to either go east or west. While I was making up my mind, I took the chance to take a couple more shots.

474243086_f439866d4f.jpg

474243068_50e98abfaa.jpg

474259841_bc2c05c9c7.jpg

Now that I was rather satisfied with the pictures for the day, I chose to go straight though the cloud and take a left north when I got a chance. By this time it was getting dark and the chance of a good shot were slim. So ended this trip. All in all, I traveled 215 some miles and took 84 pictures that make up these panos that you see here. Hopefully next time there will be a tornado in it!!!

I'm sorry but these are really dark on my screen here at work... I hope they are not so on yours.

Woah! I especially like 2, 3 and 6 I love your sky photos, they're wonderful!

Looking good. The first 3 have a lot of darkness in them, but that has to be to make the bright updraft expose properly. You did fine. Nice Mammatus in the first. Also you are pointed in the right direction as far as tornado development if there would be some. Under the "crisp" looking tower of clouds where there is no rain falling. I know you said you couldnt get closer because of the road network, but you would be better off being south of the cell looking north. I am guessing there is some updraft base you cant see to the left of that precipitation.

Keep the batteries charged. The next week looks to be active.

Doug Raflik

Honestly on my home computer there is a lot of detail in those first three without overexposing the updraft, it's alot lighter on my home system :(. This system's rainfree base was very high (probably 2000 or so feet).

wow!!! storms like that only happen in the midwest...im sure of that cause ive lived in a lot of places and have never seen anything like that...amazing skys

well done

great shots, i bet those panos are awesome at a bigger size... love the rainbow against that dark sky... :thumbup:

Awesome series!! What majestic skies!!! :thumbup: I love the rainbow in #2 and #3. Totally awesome.

Here's the bigger versions of those if you would like. I'm having problems with my camera I think so they are not as focused as I'd like.

Attachments

• $Supercell 042607-1.jpg
    $Supercell 042607-1.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 72
  • $Supercell 042607-2.jpg
    $Supercell 042607-2.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 70
  • $Supercell 042607-3.jpg
    $Supercell 042607-3.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 84
  • $Supercell 042607-4.jpg
    $Supercell 042607-4.jpg