CHDK for Canon Point and Shoot Cameras

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Oh my lord! The world of Point and shoot cameras just got soooo exciting.

I couldn't find anything on the forum about CHDK and I know nothing myself except from what I've read in the last 5 mins on the net.

Check this out:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_in_Brief

A few brief notes quoted from the above link:
- CHDK is a firmware enhancement that operates on a number of Canon Cameras.
- 5. What extra capabilities does CHDK provide?

The current set of extra capabilities fall into six categories:

a. Enhanced ways of recording images - you can capture still pictures in RAW format (as well as JPEG), and for video images you can have increased recording time and length (1 hour or 2 GB), and a greatly increased range of compression options.
b. Additional data displays on the LCD screen - histogram, battery life indicator, depth of focus, and many more.
c. Additional photographic settings that are not available on the camera by itself - longer exposure times (up to 65 seconds), faster shutter speeds (1/25,000 sec, and faster in some cases), automatic bracketing of exposure, etc.
d. The ability for the camera to run programs ('scripts', written in a micro-version of the BASIC language) stored on the memory card - these programs allow you to set the camera to perform a sequence of operations under the control of the program. For example, a camera can be programmed to take multiple pictures for focus bracketing, or take a picture when it detects that something in the field of view moves or changes brightness.
e. The ability to take a picture, or start a program on the memory card, by sending a signal into the USB port - you can use the USB cable to take a picture remotely.
f. The ability to do a number of other more useful (and fun) things, such as act as a mini file browser for the memory card, let you play games on the LCD screen, etc.

Also has Motion Detection

How totally awesome. I love my P&S, and I think this is going to make it so much more awesome!
Has anyone used it before?

Search for CHDK on youtube, there's some awesome infrared stuff on there.

wow, that's really cool

Ahhh... I searched for CHDK.

Thanks for that link Garbz. :) It is now bookmarked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back