cheap good camera

PiMpPiStOl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
k, since my last camera broke, and no one could help much, i was thinking on getting my parents to get me a new camera for christmas. but we are very low on money. or else id get a xbox 360 or something. so i was wondering whats a really really good camera, thats cheap? im not talking about less than 100. unless there is. but i mean, just not like 600 or anything. just kinda cheap ya know?? and one that wont be crappy after a year...please help!!!!!!

Digital of film? There are thousands of good low priced "very good" film cameras on ebay every day!

For digitals there are several point and shoot digitals in the $300 range that are decent (new). Just look for one with some manual controls (aperature priority, shutter priority) and with decent lens range with optical telephoto not just digital. For $300 you are in the 6 megapixel range and that is not shabby at all!

benhasajeep said:
Digital of film? There are thousands of good low priced "very good" film cameras on ebay every day!

For digitals there are several point and shoot digitals in the $300 range that are decent (new). Just look for one with some manual controls (aperature priority, shutter priority) and with decent lens range with optical telephoto not just digital. For $300 you are in the 6 megapixel range and that is not shabby at all!

shutter, i think is one of my main things. like, my last camera sucked at taking fast pics. how do i knwo if it takes em fast or not? like, what do i look for? does it say shutter speed or something?

Soime of the Point and shoot camera's have the dreaded Shutter lag. I haven't owned a point and shoot for a couple years now so i'm not sure what would be the best. Go to a camera store and try them out.

k, i found a camera, 7 megapixels, for 149 or something. its a poloroid. but i dunno all the other stuff. cuz i dont know what it al means. but is this a good camera? cuz there are some 6 megapixels fo rthat same price and the other 7 megapixels are like 200. so i think it might be just a crappy cam, thats why its so cheap but im not sure. i dont knwo anything about cameras, so i need help!

Hi,
Really if you want to take good pics without shutter lag you want an SLR but I appreciate that even the cheapest SLRs aren’t "cheap". Before my DSLR I had a Panasonic Lumix FZ7. It provides full manual control like an SLR plus shutter priority mode, has 12X optical zoom and an optical image stabiliser. It’s a great camera. Check out the prices for it on Ebay – you can get them shipped cheap from Japan I think.

i'd look at canons powershot range aswell I have the a75 and has a very flexible manual mode with shutter going from 1/1250-15 and apature f2.8-f8.0 only thing that lets it down is the iso as from 100 it gets alot of noise but still its very good value for money :thumbup::mrgreen:

don't know about the camera you found, but there is no real difference between 6 and 7 Mpixels.

Image quality and effective resolution do not result from such MP-differences but from the whole camera (optics and electronics).

benhasajeep said:
For digitals there are several point and shoot digitals in the $300 range that are decent (new). Just look for one with some manual controls (aperature priority, shutter priority) and with decent lens range with optical telephoto not just digital.

Something that has manual settings is not a point and shoot. There are other cameras except SLR and point and shoot.

You can get a Fuji S7000 from amazon.com for $285 and that is a quality camera, 6.3MP, 6x optical zoom, manual settings, 5 fps and a shutter speed of up to 1/10,000sec (allegedly).

I have used an S602 before, which is a couple of models down from this, and it took some stunning images. So I reckon this one will be a fairly good bet.

Check this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-S7000-Digital-Optical/dp/B00009VS6P/sr=8-1/qid=1164208936/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7311073-1863909?ie=UTF8&s=electronics"]http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-S7000-Digital-Optical/dp/B00009VS6P/sr=8-1/qid=1164208936/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7311073-1863909?ie=UTF8&s=electronics[/ame] for the amazon page.

PiMpPiStOl said:
k, i found a camera, 7 megapixels, for 149 or something. its a poloroid. but i dunno all the other stuff. cuz i dont know what it al means. but is this a good camera? cuz there are some 6 megapixels fo rthat same price and the other 7 megapixels are like 200. so i think it might be just a crappy cam, thats why its so cheap but im not sure. i dont knwo anything about cameras, so i need help!​

I wouldn't necessarily go for a polaroid as it is not as flexible as a lot of other cameras out there.

neogfx said:
Something that has manual settings is not a point and shoot. There are other cameras except SLR and point and shoot.

Actually, several point and shoots come with manual mode. It is still a point and shoot.

EBphotography said:
Actually, several point and shoots come with manual mode. It is still a point and shoot.
Not by my definition. For me, a point and shoot is a camera you just point and shoot. A lot have people have taken P&S to mean a camera that you don't change the lenses on, which isn't accurate. There are rangefinders, SLR's and TLR's with fixed lenses you can't change. There are SLR's that have both manual and automatic modes, so it's not just having an auto mode. It's *only* auto mode, like the old Instamatics, or just a single mode, like a Holga and other "toy" cameras.

on ebay, i seached for cams with 8+ mp, im guessing thats megapixels, and i found some within 100-200 that has 12mp. is that possible? i didnt tehre was a 12 mp cam if that is megapixels. so is it a good price or is it a fake thing or what???

markc said:
Not by my definition. For me, a point and shoot is a camera you just point and shoot. A lot have people have taken P&S to mean a camera that you don't change the lenses on, which isn't accurate. There are rangefinders, SLR's and TLR's with fixed lenses you can't change. There are SLR's that have both manual and automatic modes, so it's not just having an auto mode. It's *only* auto mode, like the old Instamatics, or just a single mode, like a Holga and other "toy" cameras.

Technically you're probably right Mark. :) A lot of grey area has been made with the terms, I just call non-slr digi's point and shoot, as do many others. :)

You get what you pay for when it comes to cameras....Forget the 8+ mp for now, look at the quality of the camera and lens on the camera. As mentioned before, look for the different settings you have available and choose a camera that better fits that. If you go with the 8+ MP as a search and cheap, you will get really large photos that look like junk. I have blown up my 6.2mp Digital Rebel photos into posters and they look great as long as your not 6 inches away and looking for pixels. Nikon and canon are making great smaller cameras now a days and they are getting really cheap compared to a few years ago.

EBphotography said:
Technically you're probably right Mark. :) A lot of grey area has been made with the terms, I just call non-slr digi's point and shoot, as do many others. :)

I call non-slr's Point and shoot since they are more automated and it make me feel more cool :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back