cheap used/refurbished dslr

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dukenukems, Dec 2, 2017.

1. dukenukems

dukenukems TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I currently have a canon powershot A540 that i have had for quite some time now.I am looking to maybe spending upto the low 200$ range for a used/refurbished dslr.I have never owned a dslr camera before so this will be my first one.Any reccommendations would be very helpful.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    There are a number of older 10-, to 12- to 16-megapixel models on the used market. Entry-level cameras that retailed for $349 to $399 a few years back are now available with a kit lens in the $175 to $250 range in my area at pawn shops and on Craigslist from motivated sellers.

As far as it goes, my recommendation is the Nikon D3200 as a solid, plentiful and affordable used first d-slr. Why? pretty good sensor performance, low cost, and the ability to mount and to shoot photos with basically any F-mount lens, manual focus, screw-drive focus, or the newer style of in-the-lens AF-S lenses (which stands for Auto Focus Silent-wave motor in the lens). This allows you to choose from 70 million or so manual-focus F-mount lenses made between 1959 to the present era, by Nikon, but also by multiple other manufacturers; there are a LOT of pawnshop-type lenses in F-mount. I recently bought a nice 70-200 f/4~5.6 for $29.95 from a pawnshop. Of course, to autofocus this 1990'sera lens requires a higher-level Nikon body, or an older one, like a D70 or D50, which both have the screw-drive focus motor in the camera body, but still, it's a 70-200, 1990's-era lens for $30.

Basically: the "baby Nikon" models can mount, and shoot, any Nikon F-mount lens made from 1959 to the 2017 era, with varying degrees of automation, depending on the lens's original era of manufacture.

In Nikon lenses, the "pre-Ai era" or "pre-Ai" lenses (1959 to 1977 or so for most models) do NOT MOUNT on the higher-end Nikon models but they DO mount on the D60, the D40,D40x,and the entire D3000-series and the entire D5000 series cameras, so those specific cameras are the ones that can use many,many lenses that are older, but which are not desired by "enthusiasts" with higher-model cameras that require those 1959-1977 lenses to have been modified by a camera repairman in a process called "Ai-ing or Ai-modifying".

In Canon, the majority of newer lower-priced Rebels in the T-series would be my choice; I would try to avoid the X-series, the early Rebels like the XT. In D-series Canons, the 30D would be my recommendation, 40D if you can get one in your price range, which is unlikely I suspect.

There ARE some VERY low-priced, older d-slrs on Craigslist...I saw a clean Nikon D70 last week for $99, and the VERY handy DX-Nikkor 18-70mm era-specific wide-range kit zoom for $99...and a Nikon D80 body for $75.

I have my original Canon 20D...it's "okay", but the sensor is ISO-limited and old now, but in good light, it shoots okay images.

KEH.com on-line might be a place to start doing some research.

If you just want a d-slr, a body and an 18-55 kit zoom would be a good start.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dukenukems

dukenukems TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i did see a nikon d40 with lens for around 150$ on ebay.What ones can use maybe higher then 32gb memory cards?

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The D40 is a camera I've shot a few thousand pics with: bought on for my then-wife for Christmas one year. It used a CCD, 6-MP sensor, and was KNOWN for beautiful color, and for the ability to shoot flash at up to 1/4000 second...very unusual capability that MOST other cameras cannot do.

The D40 was from an era when 32 gig cards were like $1,000, if memory serves me correctly. However, low-capacity 8- to 16-MB cards are available these days for like $10 or so,right?

Google likely would determine what cards could be used. But--with a 6-MP sensor, even a 4-gig card will shoot allllll weekend...the files are NOT that huge!

5. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon knows!

Page 102.

6. dukenukems

dukenukems TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For memory cards does the class rating matter?

7. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not for a D40. You can probably use an old un-classed card.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dukenukems

dukenukems TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For the older dslr's like the d40/40x can the batteries still be bought brand new?

9. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon currently lists them (EL-EN9) as Temporarily Out of Inventory.

But you could buy 3rd-party batteries. And some brick-n-mortar stores may have them on hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The D40 was SDHC, and back in those days, 2- and 4-gigabyte cards of modest speed ratings were the norm. Even the raw, .NEF files the D40 creates are not overly huge, and the camera wrote files to the cards adequately rapidly, as I recall. I did not look at Page 102 of the on-line Nikon manual that 480sparky linked to above, but I think that decent-grade, current SDHC cards of modest specification an 32-gigabytes or less in size will be amply fast in a D40.

I see a Nikon D40 with a battery,battery charger,strap,and the 18-55 zoom listed for $120 in Seattle on Craigslist tonight.

11. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I've seen the D200 I have for around $150 (I paid $200 some three years ago and that included the grip, two batteries in the grip, charger and 2gb card). With the 10mb sensor in this camera and a 32gb card (CF card) it is ready to take 1,800 images in Raw format (full resolution). I usually use my 16gb cards - over 900 images for Raw files.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I have a pristine Nikon D200, body cap, D200 Nikon shoulder strap, 3-rd party battery and Nikon charger I would sell for $150.