cheap wiress digital photography

I agree. Analog signals will be much easier to handle and process than digital, and the bandwith for transmitting a 2MP live signal is going to be pretty obscene. You can receive the image fairly easily, then build a trinket that will fire the shutter on the camera when you are ready to snap the picture.

It will be easy to hack into the camera for the memory card pins and build something that mimics a memory card with a radio antenna that can transmit the signal, that way you can store the image on your custom memory device and transmit it wirelesly to your laptop. Since it's an already coded jpeg you don't have to worry into understanding the coding engine on the camera, just the wireless protocol you devise for transmitting the file.

What are you planning to do with that setup?

get a 2 mega pixle pint and shoot nikon uses they are small compact and ruged my 10 year old sister has had one for 2 years it is beat and brused but works great

saulmr said:
It will be easy to hack into the camera for the memory card pins and build something that mimics a memory card
DocFrankenstein said:
:confused: No it won't
With the level of packaging modern cameras have, it will be very hard to hack into the camera's inner workings, you're right DocFrankenstein! I was refering more into either re-routing the memory card reader pins (where the card connects) or building a phisical interface to a custom memory device that can be read and then transmit the signal underground. We started doing that to work with the playstation memory cards for a project that required writing to a flash memory (Before USB Drives and memory cards were so cheap!), storing and transmitting data wirelesssly... but that was a loong time ago.

Another suggestion I got was to use a cheap digital camera for the pictures and one of those small webcameras for the live feed. Then the only problem you will have is how to download the data to the ground, wich should be easy for a person knowledgeable of digital electronics and signal processing. You could even build a primitive modem and connect it to a cell phone or a two way radio and you have a good comm link for data.

just get one of those wireless mini spy cams off ebay for like 3o bucks and put the video feed into a laptop and hit prt scr when you want a still. Sometimes those mini cams come with the software that has a viewer with a photo shot button that does the same thing. Try not to over engineer this.

saulmr said:
We started doing that to work with the playstation memory cards for a project that required writing to a flash memory (Before USB Drives and memory cards were so cheap!), storing and transmitting data wirelesssly... but that was a loong time ago.
Who are the "we" you are referring to?

Even 200$ cameras today have writing speeds of about 4 megabytes/sec.

I'd love to see how you want to build something wireless "easily" with 500 dollar budget.

Just desribe the basic mechanism of such device from electronical standpoint, because I'm simply not smart enough to think of one.

Rob said:
If you scroll to the bottom of the page, the reviews aren't exactly complimentary!

but if you just want to use it for one day what does it matter. besides i was just throwing out some ideas

DocFrankenstein said:
Who are the "we" you are referring to?

Even 200$ cameras today have writing speeds of about 4 megabytes/sec.

I'd love to see how you want to build something wireless "easily" with 500 dollar budget.

Just desribe the basic mechanism of such device from electronical standpoint, because I'm simply not smart enough to think of one.
I used to work for an electronics engineering company, I was in charge of the hardaware-human interfaces division.

For the project I'm refering to, we had to store GPS data from a mining truck on a flash card, since it wasn't a lot of data, we used playstation memory cards (Flash Drives were very expensive then!) because the data had to be extracted on field and without a laptop, we just swapped cards every day from the trucks and dumped the data on a laptop in the office (We sacrificed a few playstations in the process). Later on we decided to transmit the data using off the shelf radios so we didn't have to chase the trucks. My hardware team built a primitive modem for use with the radios in about 1 1/2 months... It wasn't easy but these guys pulled off the modem nicely and they are selling the modems for real time GPS and monitoring apps now.

If you'd like more technical info, I'll PM you with more detail... It's about 6 years since thar project and I'm a little dusty :blushing:

captblue1 said:
but if you just want to use it for one day what does it matter. besides i was just throwing out some ideas

Fair point indeed! Still, it's gonna be tricky to reboot it in the air! :)

Rob

Most reactions

Back