Cheapest dslr camera?

Hey people. I am new to this photography thing, So I'm wondering the cheapest dslr camera. I don't care about image quality, Just the cheapest.

I want to try it put before I put lots of money into it.

Buy a P&S. The cheapest dslr isn't going to do a thing for "the try it before I put lots of money into it" thing if you don't care about image quality.

A cheap bridge camera would be just find or a standard P&S. Your thought process here is pretty much along the lines of "I want to buy a car, but don't want a transmission or engine until I see if I like the seats."

Go back to drug store disposable cameras or just use the camera on your phone. I mean honestly:

You want to know what "normal" is in this world? $1800 for a Nikon D300 along with $600 invested in primes, $300 in a flash, and $300 in a tripod makes for $3000 in equipment, not including memory cards, batteries, bags, monopods, zoom glass, light boxes, umbrellas, backdrops, macro glass... I could go on and on.

You definitely don't want to know what "expensive" (AKA professional) means in this world - $4500 for a D3 or $8000 for a D3X (times 2 since you'll want a backup body), holy trinity of glass - $1800 for a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, $1800 for a 14-24 f/2.8, $1700 for a 24-70 f/2.8, and this doesn't even include the thousands of dollars on the "specialty" glass like the 105mm VR Macro, 85mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, if you want a nice long telephoto lens like the 600mm f/4 then that's going to run you several thousand dollars, along with $1,000 for a tripod that can keep it steady, multiple flashes at a couple hundred dollars each... I don't even WANT to tally up how much this is because God knows I can't afford it either!

Oh yeah, and none of that includes medium format - tens of thousands of dollars by itself.

But you know what the great part is? You don't need ANY of this crap to be creative - plenty of amazing shots taken by cell phone users out there. But you gotta realize, you're asking us to try and find you a car for under $1,000 or to find a decent medical school education for $10,000 - it can't be done. It sucks, but this is what it costs. Get a job and save those pennies.

edit: Bonus link for some light reading: How to Afford Anything and do your research on your own next time, please. It's called Amazon for price checks, and it's called Google for information.

Go back to drug store disposable cameras or just use the camera on your phone. I mean honestly:

You want to know what "normal" is in this world? $1800 for a Nikon D300 along with $600 invested in primes, $300 in a flash, and $300 in a tripod makes for $3000 in equipment, not including memory cards, batteries, bags, monopods, zoom glass, light boxes, umbrellas, backdrops, macro glass... I could go on and on.

You definitely don't want to know what "expensive" (AKA professional) means in this world - $4500 for a D3 or $8000 for a D3X (times 2 since you'll want a backup body), holy trinity of glass - $1800 for a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, $1800 for a 14-24 f/2.8, $1700 for a 24-70 f/2.8, and this doesn't even include the thousands of dollars on the "specialty" glass like the 105mm VR Macro, 85mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, if you want a nice long telephoto lens like the 600mm f/4 then that's going to run you several thousand dollars, along with $1,000 for a tripod that can keep it steady, multiple flashes at a couple hundred dollars each... I don't even WANT to tally up how much this is because God knows I can't afford it either!

Oh yeah, and none of that includes medium format - tens of thousands of dollars by itself.

But you know what the great part is? You don't need ANY of this crap to be creative - plenty of amazing shots taken by cell phone users out there. But you gotta realize, you're asking us to try and find you a car for under $1,000 or to find a decent medical school education for $10,000 - it can't be done. It sucks, but this is what it costs. Get a job and save those pennies.

edit: Bonus link for some light reading: How to Afford Anything and do your research on your own next time, please. It's called Amazon for price checks, and it's called Google for information.

Exactly what I was going to add. If you have a hard time fathoming why a DSLR would fetch at least $250, I can't wait until you start pricing nice lenses. Hey, there's always Holga if you want to look at film instead.

Try and point and shoot instead of a dSLR. The canon A1000 IS goes for about $150 at Best Buy.

The major thing about photography has never been the equipment. Sure the equipment can really help, but as stated, to be creative and take nice shots, you don't need $10,000 of equipment. To make it a profession, you do.

The more important thing is for you to read on how to take pictures, learn the art of photo composition, learn to use your camera and understand how it will react.

Then take it from there...

If you want used, try Craigslist or Kijiji. But at your age, I would recommend speaking to your parents before meeting an online stranger to buy something from. I have had nothing but good experiences from both sites, but you never know who is out there

Hmm.

So, you're 13 and come asking about cheap prices and don't even thank anyone for their suggestions? Instead, complain? Come on. Get a job, work towards it.

There's a difference, yes, between an expensive camera and a cheap camera.

I bought my first SLR at 14. It cost $1300. I worked for it. And got it. Didn't look back.

Honestly, 400 odd bucks ain't much. Beg, work, slave. It's worth it.

Heh. Everything here is worse.

D300 = $3000
$2000 for primes
$700 for flash
$700 for good tripod and head

I've heard plenty of complaints about the price of the new D3x - $8000. Cry, cry. Well, it costs $14,000 here.

Heh. Everything here is worse.

D300 = $3000
$2000 for primes
$700 for flash
$700 for good tripod and head

I've heard plenty of complaints about the price of the new D3x - $8000. Cry, cry. Well, it costs $14,000 here.

Where are you, Canada? the UK?:lol:

I shoot Leica, Canon, Pentax as well as various medium format systems. I definitely have enough $$$$ wast... er INVESTED as many in this thread but I certainly still enjoy my "bargain" find. My Samsung GX-1L was purchased from a pawn shop's ebay store front for $150 (with kit lens). Throw in a K-mount to screwmount adapter and I get to enjoy a lot of bargain M42 screwmount lenses in the digital world. I think there are enough older DSLRs for anyone in any budget to enjoy... I am not sold on the idea that it takes some sort of over-inflated price of admission to enter and enjoy photography.

It does take some patience and diligence to get the most for you money in the world of bargain hunting. This is true for anything. My friends and family all know me as someone who loves and often finds the best deals. What they don't realize is that it is simply being patient and saving up cash to jump on a deal quickly. Honestly, the OP's posts do not show someone who is capable to find a good deal and is simply looking for a handout.

Try Craigslist - there are some desparate people out there.
On second thought, that is not a good idea for you - being a minor and all.

But you could get a job mowing lawns :confused:

Australia, actually... but we do earn more generally, in terms of pay for each job, etc.

Like a $10/hr job in the US would be around $15+/hr here.

Australia, actually... but we do earn more generally, in terms of pay for each job, etc.

Like a $10/hr job in the US would be around $15+/hr here.

You also get taxed heavier :p

But yeah, good to know - my study abroad choice is between Australia and New Zealand right now (hopefully they're going to be somewhat better... or else I'll just buy all my shyte before I leave XD)

I shoot Leica, Canon, Pentax as well as various medium format systems. I definitely have enough $$$$ wast... er INVESTED as many in this thread but I certainly still enjoy my "bargain" find. My Samsung GX-1L was purchased from a pawn shop's ebay store front for $150 (with kit lens). Throw in a K-mount to screwmount adapter and I get to enjoy a lot of bargain M42 screwmount lenses in the digital world. I think there are enough older DSLRs for anyone in any budget to enjoy... I am not sold on the idea that it takes some sort of over-inflated price of admission to enter and enjoy photography.

It does take some patience and diligence to get the most for you money in the world of bargain hunting. This is true for anything. My friends and family all know me as someone who loves and often finds the best deals. What they don't realize is that it is simply being patient and saving up cash to jump on a deal quickly. Honestly, the OP's posts do not show someone who is capable to find a good deal and is simply looking for a handout.

You actually own one of the samsung SLRs? Out of curiosity, why would anyone buy one of those instead of the pentax model? in fact, why would *anyone* buy the samsung unless it was at a retarded price, like $150?

You actually own one of the samsung SLRs? Out of curiosity, why would anyone buy one of those instead of the pentax model? in fact, why would *anyone* buy the samsung unless it was at a retarded price, like $150?

reading comprehension FTW or is that just sarcasm?

Most reactions

Back