Cheapest external HD online?

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I ran out of internal and external hard drive space for storing my photos, and now I need to buy another one. Thinking of possibly 4 terabytes. Currently the one I have is WD My Book. I'm looking for the cheapest one of various brands that are stable. Staples and Walmart are the closest store. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on one.

I've been looking at online storage as well. I am trying Crash Plan, but it would take many months to upload my photos.

Thanks

I'm looking for the cheapest one of various brands that are stable. Staples and Walmart are the closest store. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on one.
That's probably a bigger recipe for disaster than puttting a $20 tripod under on an H4D at the edge of a high cliff in a wind storm. Seriously... the cheapest? I know spending money on stuff like this doesn't seem like fun, but it's important. Why not spend a little more, get a rack like this, and 5 2Tb hard drives (cheap like Borscht) and set your computer up with a proper RAID or equivalent back-up routine.

order what you want online rather than settle for somewhere close.
Backup to two places to eliminate disastrous loss

I'm looking for the cheapest one of various brands that are stable. Staples and Walmart are the closest store. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on one.
That's probably a bigger recipe for disaster than puttting a $20 tripod under on an H4D at the edge of a high cliff in a wind storm. Seriously... the cheapest? I know spending money on stuff like this doesn't seem like fun, but it's important. Why not spend a little more, get a rack like this, and 5 2Tb hard drives (cheap like Borscht) and set your computer up with a proper RAID or equivalent back-up routine.

I can't afford too much right now, but will look into the link you sent. I appreciate your suggestions.

I can't afford too much right now, but will look into the link you sent. I appreciate your suggestions.
Then buy less than 4 TB now, but get a good HD, and get more TB later.

Then buy less than 4 TB now, but get a good HD, and get more TB later.

Thank you might consider that idea.

WD My Book 4 TB is the best buy right now. That's what I'm using, up from the earlier 3 TB models. I would not go to anything cheaper than that. The 3TB model is $119, but for another $20, you can get another TB in the 4, so...

WD My Book 4 TB is the best buy right now. That's what I'm using, up from the earlier 3 TB models. I would not go to anything cheaper than that. The 3TB model is $119, but for another $20, you can get another TB in the 4, so...

That's what I was thinking and thank you for your advice. Since you mentioned that now I feel better about purchasing another one.

Western Digital makes pretty reliable drives.

Stay away from Seagate, though. Apparently their drives are prone to failure.

If you decide to invest some money in a really reliable, sturdy drive in the future, look into the LaCie Rugged drives. They're water and shock resistant. Works great if you're clumsy lol. But they are pricey.

Gawd.
Just today I fired up a HP laptop I still have that I bought in 2001.
It has what was at that time a lot of storage - a 20 GB hard drive.

I have an older laptop too and thought of using it as a backup for my photos and it had measly storage compared to what we are used to now. So I know what you mean. [emoji13]

Western Digital makes pretty reliable drives.

Stay away from Seagate, though. Apparently their drives are prone to failure.

If you decide to invest some money in a really reliable, sturdy drive in the future, look into the LaCie Rugged drives. They're water and shock resistant. Works great if you're clumsy lol. But they are pricey.

Thanks Rex for the heads up on Seagate will definitely stay away from that brand. Yea LaCie sounds pretty good, but out of my price range. Looks like for now it's WD.

Most reactions

Back