Cheapest possible "second light"

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Summer75, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Summer75

Summer75 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Cool. Very very helpful. Thanks so much for answering! :)

2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes. Slave function. Most studio flash units and some speedlights have an optical sensor that detects a flash in the vicinity, and fires its flash at the same time as the triggering flash. The triggering flash can be any electronic flash, such as a speedlight, another studio strobe, or the built-in flash on (my) camera. ( I remember yours does not have a built-in flash)

So no RF trigger or cable needed. The main drawback is the lack of convenience in setting the flash power remotely. Your RF trigger might do that, or a zone controller, but with using the optical slave function, you have to set the power level manually.

3. petrochemist

petrochemist No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    One other drawback with optical slaves, if used with a modern TTL flash, they fire on the preflash, and have nothing left when the main flash fires & the image is taken.

With a photo booth type setting the flashes can be run repeatedly in manual mode once the correct settings are determined, so an optical slave should work well. I think they might work out cheaper than a splitter & physical wiring too!

4. dennybeall

dennybeall No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

"Cheapest Possible" How about one of the new flashlights? They have a lot of white light from a couple of small batteries. I don't know what "color" but it seems very white???

UPDATE - here's the chart.
    Color-Temp-Diagram.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017