Cheating at Filters

tinafaecarroll

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I have a Canon SX-10IS, and it is not capable of using filters. However, sometimes I'd like to be able to use a polarizing filter. I was wondering if anybody knows a way so that if I were to buy a filter, I would be able to use it, even if my camera can't hold it? Some sort of jimmy-rigged way? lol Anyway, I was just curious to see if anybody had ideas. Thanks. :)

lol i thought about that, but i don't want to leave the sticky from the tape on my camera. :(

I don't think there is much you can do, unless one of the cokin setups would work for you. They have a "holder", but you'd still probably need an adapter ring.

Can't you simply hold the filter against the lens?

Blue tape, used by painters wont leave sticky lol little more expensive then good old duct tape :lmao:

I had an old point and shoot before upgrading to my DSLR. One of my favorite pictures I took I used my sunglasses with an orange tint to as a filter. I just held it in front of the lens. Not a perfect technique for sure, but it yielded a print worthy photo that i have framed on my wall today

thanks for all of the ideas. I will look into that link, tirediron. That's something I'm interested in. If that fails, I might go blue painters tape. I hadn't thought of that.

I've heard that you can use sunglasses as a polarizer. I haven't tried it yet, but I hadn't quite convinced myself it works. I'll have to try that sometime! :)

Thanks everybody!

I've heard that you can use sunglasses as a polarizer. I haven't tried it yet, but I hadn't quite convinced myself it works. I'll have to try that sometime!

I'd be cautious. Make sure you're using really good sunglasses. The quality of the photo can only be as good as the worst glass in front of the sensor.

Most reactions

Back