Check This Guy Out!

I guess it is just me that doesn't particularly like his work? Maybe I'm missing something.

No you're not the only one. ;)

He's a shock-jock type photog and it shows that energy in his shots. I wasn't moved by almost any of the shots on the linked site in post one. A few of the shots (20%) shown in the video weren't too bad tho.

Oh well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

I guess it is just me that doesn't particularly like his work? Maybe I'm missing something.

nope you are not alone... he's style and how he works is definitely controversial. My personal opinion Bruce Gilden is one of extremes; some of his work gets the "wtf?" reaction and others manages to get a "wow".

The one thing to take away when viewing other photographer's work, especially well established professionals, is to try to answer the question "What sets him/her apart from the rest of the world?". You have to set aside your personal feelings just for a moment because whether or not you like the works there is always something to be learned.

My buddy and I used to setup challenges because we were bored.... sometimes the results are um... less than spectacular but we enjoy it. When you get that one good shot (out of perhaps dozens) its like scoring in a scavenger hunt. One that is fun is just like Iron's "stroll through NYC". The rules are, no TTL metering, handheld meter ambient one every 10 shots (makes you think in stops), no framing (shoot at the hip only), keep moving, and as always.. have fun (photogs, in TPF as well, take this hobby way way too seriously). You guys should try it... you'll realize that what Mr. Gilden does and how he obtains his photo is unique, educational, and definitely something from which you can build your own personal work.

I'm not the claim that I'm better than Gilden (or even some here in TPF) but I can say that I am enjoying myself.

(ok.. the last one I cheated and looked through the viewfinder :) )

Attachments

• $l1.jpg
    $l1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 127
  • $l2.jpg
    $l2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 97
  • $l15.jpg
    $l15.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 87
  • $l47.jpg
    $l47.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 82
  • $l44.jpg
    $l44.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 90
  • $l45.jpg
    $l45.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 96
  • $l46.jpg
    $l46.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 85
  • $l31.jpg
    $l31.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 76
  • $l43.jpg
    $l43.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 92
PS. Shooting a city like NYC is best done on Fridays and Saturdays... the city really comes to life. I shot on a Weds and it wasn't as interesting as my previous weekend "strolls".

I'm surprised a lot of you guys aren't being hurt more... lol.

I mean, I consider myself a photographer, but if someone stuck a camera in my face like we saw in that youtube video, my first tendancy would be to push the lens into his face! :lol:

I'm pretty big, which helps, but I found it interesting that he bends down for every shot.

Thanks for vote of confidence, Bifurcator.

Controversial?

A bit rude maybe but no more than you would expect on a crowded street.

It's interesting that the reactions here are following a familiar pattern. Not as closely as other threads perhaps but there is as much discussion on how the photographer goes about his craft as the results.

One thing most people seem to forget about this style is that the vast majority of people don't get angry fast enough to bring that emotion into the encounter. You will see annoyance and disapproval surely but isn't that what most people feel when being crowded and generally stepped on? And if that's true then the photographer- no matter who- is only guilty of a slight bit of posing his subjects.

Annoyance and disapproval are the grit and the grain in the street imo. (This is not to discount happiness or other emotions)
And also in my opinion if there isn't emotion captured in this genre there is no point to it in the first place.

I think what I dislike about this is the lack of emotion I see in the subjects. Maybe I'm just not seeing it but for the most part I either see surprise or nothing in their faces.

I love his work and his approach. I doubt it is controversial. Brave is a better way to put it. I think he captures the characters and the feeling of the world's greatest city. The photos make a little more sense if you have spent some time there.

Personally I would never push a lens in anyone's face for taking my photo. Why should I care if someone took my photo on the street? Not like they are stealing my soul. We should also consider that New Yorkers are a tough bunch. They have seen it all, so not a lot phases them.

My favorite part is where he mentions that Times Square is now like Disneyland and all the people are starting to dress the same. His words are sad, but true.

Love & Bass

I couldn't bring myself to shoot the way he does, but then again, ive never tried to be that aggressive though.

One question though, do you need a model release form to display or sell street photos? I cant imagine he went back and asked everyone he shot, or if even half would agree to signing one after him being int their face.

His 'hit and run' is definitely not my style of photography. To me, most of the subjects either look like zombies with little to no facial expression, or someone who wants to commit a rather illegal act on the person of said photographer.

To me, by jumping in front of the person without giving them time to react he looses most of the emotion that was in the scene. Sorta like a person walking up to you on the street and asking you a question, answering it in the same breath, and walking away. You're just left there, dazed, ready to react, but with nothing to react to.

I guess I'd just prefer his photos to tell a story, rather than act as a confirmation of his own existance. Nevertheless, in the end they're his pictures and he has a right to take them any way he wants to...

.. and I have a right to dislike them :greenpbl:.

P.S. A Pity I don't live near him, as it would be interesting to see his reaction to being the subject of "close-up surprise flash photography".

Last edited:
P.S. A Pity I don't live near him, as it would be interesting to see his reaction to being the subject of "close-up surprise flash photography".

A full power flash from an SB-900 may not only change his attitude, but blind the poor chap for several hours... lmao!

He is more interesting than his photographs. But then as a collection I suspect his photographs will be very interesting indeed in 100 years time.

Most reactions

Back