Checked out the Nifty Fifty today

the new Nikkor 50 1.4 AF-S is designed to bridge the manual focusing issue. . .should drop in Dec 2008, apparently better than the old gen 50 1.4 or 1.8. . ..($439). . .pre-selling at Adorama

As a young and poor photographer, I think a $439 "nifty fifty" is a lot less "nifty." I always thought the appeal of the ubiquitous 50mm was its performance-per-dollar, whether it's Canon, Nikon, or Pentax (yes, we have a sub-$200 50mm f/1.4 and it autofocuses- the FA). I consider myself to be on a typical "beginner" budget due to my college student poverty, and there's a world of difference between a $200 lens and a $450 lens (upon further review, it looks like the 1.8 and 1.4 straddle the $200 mark).

Personally, I'll keep manually focusing my 70s SMC M 50mm all the way to the bank. Then again, I'm used to it from my film bodies, so what do I know. If there's any point to this, it's that manual focusing really isn't that bad once you get used to it.

Wow. That really is amazing. I haven't looked into it, but it would be interesting to know how much more you have to pay for other "similar" lenses that have the AF built in so that you can compensate for the fact that the camera doesn't have the AF motor... kinda adds a bit to the price of that "inexpensive" D40.

The only other 50mm that will AF on the D40/D60 is the Sigma 50mm HSM, and it cost as much as the new Nikon AF-S 50mm. Unless the IQ of the Nikon is really superior, I'd either get the Sigma or the old Nikon. IMO, Nikon didn't do their job well with the new 50mm. It's biggest minus is the size and price - the old one was really nifty, both sizewise and pricewise. The new one is not really small, but not really big either. Still, it will probably take a full lens pocket in my bag. If it takes up a whole pocket, I just as well might carry the huge Sigma 50mm HSM, especially if it proves to be optical superior.
I'm still wondering if I should get the Sigma 50mm HSM or both the Nikon 50mm F1.4 (old) and the Nikon 35mm F2...

Dam, 440 for the nikon 1.4? My canon 50 1.4 was $320. Why is it that nikon has this auto focusing issue? is it that all canon bodies have a built in motor or is it that all their lenses have built in af motors. sick lens btw. I can't speak for the 1.8 but im sure its not far off and the pix i've seen are nice.

Nick

The only other 50mm that will AF on the D40/D60 is the Sigma 50mm HSM, and it cost as much as the new Nikon AF-S 50mm. Unless the IQ of the Nikon is really superior, I'd either get the Sigma or the old Nikon. IMO, Nikon didn't do their job well with the new 50mm. It's biggest minus is the size and price - the old one was really nifty, both sizewise and pricewise. The new one is not really small, but not really big either. Still, it will probably take a full lens pocket in my bag. If it takes up a whole pocket, I just as well might carry the huge Sigma 50mm HSM, especially if it proves to be optical superior.
I'm still wondering if I should get the Sigma 50mm HSM or both the Nikon 50mm F1.4 (old) and the Nikon 35mm F2...

From what I've been told about the Sigma 50mm f1.4 is that it's not really sharp until f2...

Now, I'd just go ahead and get the 50mm f1.8, and then I'd either get a Sigma 30mm f1.4 or go ahead and save for the Nikon 85mm f1.4.

I've currently got the 85mm f1.8 and while it's an awesome lens, takes spectacular portraits (for what I've used it for anyway), I cannot really say I like it over my 50mm f1.8.

From what I've been told about the Sigma 50mm f1.4 is that it's not really sharp until f2...

Now, I'd just go ahead and get the 50mm f1.8, and then I'd either get a Sigma 30mm f1.4 or go ahead and save for the Nikon 85mm f1.4.

I've currently got the 85mm f1.8 and while it's an awesome lens, takes spectacular portraits (for what I've used it for anyway), I cannot really say I like it over my 50mm f1.8.

According to the Photozone test (Canon version), the Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM is quite sharp from F1.4, borders included. The Nikon 50mm F1.4 lags a bit behind in center sharpness, and the borders are quite bad at F1.4. Of course, you have to decide for yourself if the slightly better center sharpness, better border sharpness at F1.4 and the AF motor are worth paying USD200 more for a monster lens that weights more than double the Nikon.

I've heard quite a few people complain about the bokeh on both the 85mm F1.8 and 50mm F1.8, but as I only had the chance to play with both lenses for only a few minutes, I wouldn't really know. Anyway, I think the 50mm F1.4 is worth the extra USD80 compared to the F1.8 (build quality, slightly larger aperture, supposedly better bokeh). I hear many people really praise the Sigma 30mm F1.4, but the reviews are rather dissapointing concerning the border sharpness. As I plan to move to shooting FX only one day, I'd rather not invest in any more DX lenses. I wish Nikon would make some F1.4 wide FX primes... possibly in the afforadable price range of under USD300.

the diff is more than 80.00. the 1.8 can be had on amazon for 89.00, while the 1.4 is 320.00, for some that cost diff is the deciding factor as well. I've never used the 1.4, but my 1.8 does me just fine, and like ive said previously, so what if it's made of plastic? I'm not going to be using it as a basketball, or hitting it w/ a bat. it will be either on my camera, or in my camera bag. and i'm a big strong guy, but i dont exactly go into a hulk rage when i'm manually focusing, and twisting it like mad...

ahh i saw canon in there, i thought we were still on canon LOL..it's early.

When or IF I ever need a 50mm portrait lens, I'll use the 50mm f1.8 that I already have.
IF I want a possibly sharper, better quality portrait lens, I'll go for a different one that will cost me more money. Like the 85 f1.4 or possibly another one, like the Sigma 30mm f1.4.
I may change my mind on this, but I doubt it.
Maybe I'm just biased to the 50mm f1.8 because it was my first prime. But that lens has gotten some nice shots for me. Both in AF and in MF.

Samriel,

The only issues I've heard about the Sigma 30mm f1.4, from Nikon users who own it or have owned it, is that sometimes focusing is off and they have to send it back to Sigma to have it recalibrated.

But if you get a good copy, it's gold.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back