cheetah portraits

CarlosF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was lucky enough to spend 20min with this beautiful cat at 5:30 in the morning, such a pleasure. Any CC welcome thanks
IMG_2679.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG

Such a beautiful animal. It's easy to forget how deadly they can be, isn't it?

Yeah they can be pretty deadly but I don't think they'll go for a human unless they maybe wounded and can't hunt faster animals, but a leopard that's one cat I do not trust he will come fetch in the bird hide

Very nice particularly the first.

Love the first one; a lot of attitude in that portrait which is rarer to see in a cheetah portrait - they tend to often have a very sad look to them to my eye (its those black tears); so for me its great to see such a focused and "attitude" full shot.

Out of interest was this a wild cat with a radio collar or a tame one? I'm guessing radio as there's some bulk to the collar but could be captive

Love the first one; a lot of attitude in that portrait which is rarer to see in a cheetah portrait - they tend to often have a very sad look to them to my eye (its those black tears); so for me its great to see such a focused and "attitude" full shot.

Out of interest was this a wild cat with a radio collar or a tame one? I'm guessing radio as there's some bulk to the collar but could be captive

Hi thanks yeah love that shot too.. it's definitely a wild cat in an open reserve, cheetah are getting on the endangered list so they just try and keep up with them with the radio collars to make sure they ok

Great set, but the first one is also my favorite. As for C&C, the fact that you are hanging out with Cheetahs all day, kind gives any advice I would have obsolete. LOL

The first one is my favourite. Care to share where you were hanging out with them?

WesternGuy

The first one is my favourite. Care to share where you were hanging out with them?

WesternGuy

Hi western, I spend my time at a little slice of heaven called rietvlei nature reserve it's about 15 min away from my house(oh I stay in South Africa) . It's currently the largest nature reserve inside an urban area I will leave their website link below..

Rietvlei Nature Reserve - An Unofficial Guide

would cuddle.

WesternGuy

Hi western, I spend my time at a little slice of heaven called rietvlei nature reserve it's about 15 min away from my house(oh I stay in South Africa) . It's currently the largest nature reserve inside an urban area I will leave their website link below..

Carlos, thanks for the information. I must say I am a bit jealous of your location being that close to such a small "paradise" and being able to photograph these beautiful animals. I was in Sabi Sands last August for 10 days and we only saw two cheetahs, lots of leopards and one pride of lions. In addition, there were the usual elephants, rhinos, impalas, nyala, water bucks, zebras, cape buffalo, crocodiles and hyenas. I also saw my first Sable antelope, a beautiful animal.

I will be returning next year to Mashatu and MalaMala for some more animal photography.

WesternGuy

WesternGuy

Carlos, thanks for the information. I must say I am a bit jealous of your location being that close to such a small "paradise" and being able to photograph these beautiful animals. I was in Sabi Sands last August for 10 days and we only saw two cheetahs, lots of leopards and one pride of lions. In addition, there were the usual elephants, rhinos, impalas, nyala, water bucks, zebras, cape buffalo, crocodiles and hyenas. I also saw my first Sable antelope, a beautiful animal.

I will be returning next year to Mashatu and MalaMala for some more animal photography.

WesternGuy

ah that must have been awesome i would love to go to sabi sands one day but unfortunately they have geared it alot to tourist with their prices so for us locals its a bit steep but i will work my way up there one day haha.. the kruger park is about 4 hours drive from my home and pilansberg national park is a 2 hour drive away from me, i am heading to pilansberg next week for 4 days we usually stay in bungalos but having just bought the nikon d500 im a little broke so the wife and i decided to give camping a try its working out really cheap its literally gonna cost me $100 US for the 4 days for accommodation and park entry so i don't think one could beat that, and the animal life there is just as nice as the kruger its just a smaller reserve..

WesternGuy

WesternGuy

ah that must have been awesome i would love to go to sabi sands one day but unfortunately they have geared it alot to tourist with their prices so for us locals its a bit steep but i will work my way up there one day haha.. the kruger park is about 4 hours drive from my home and pilansberg national park is a 2 hour drive away from me, i am heading to pilansberg next week for 4 days we usually stay in bungalos but having just bought the nikon d500 im a little broke so the wife and i decided to give camping a try its working out really cheap its literally gonna cost me $100 US for the 4 days for accommodation and park entry so i don't think one could beat that, and the animal life there is just as nice as the kruger its just a smaller reserve..
Sounds like a great 4 days and less than $100 US, even better. I look forward to seeing some of your images from Pilanesberg. (I will check it out on the web)

You are right Sabi and the other reserves are definitely geared towards the tourists as is Mala Mala. but you only live once and I have enjoyed every one of my five trips to Africa. I would love to come and stay somewhere (Joburg, Cape Town?) for a few months and then be able to tour from there, but I probably couldn't afford it?

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back