Chess pieces revisted

Harpper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As suggested in my last chess pictures, I decided to use the chess board this time. I think I might have used too little DOF on this picture since the top of the pawn piece is the only area that is mainly in focus. It might have looked better if I got the whole pawn piece in focus with more DOF...what you guys think? I also probably should have dusted the chess board more but I seriously didn't notice it until after I took the picture. ;)

1b307b35.jpg

Great photo :) I agree with you about a little more dof on the pawn. About the dust. I meticulously cleaned mine before taking photos and still saw dust :p It's a never ending battle. That's what the clone tool is for I guess. I really like the lighting you used here, and I like the compositon with the two squares filling opposing corners of the image. (Even if you can't see the top right square, you know it's there.)

Great job :)

Digital Matt said:
About the dust. I meticulously cleaned mine before taking photos and still saw dust :p It's a never ending battle.
It's good to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. ;) I've posted a newer version with more DOF below. I just wish I had chess pieces with more detail though. :D

Pyromaniac said:
looks almost fake.
Why do you say that? I didn't use any Photoshop except for resizing the picture. I used a blue light filter for the color and positioned the lighting so that there would be shadows in the back. The strong background blur was from using a fast lens at about f2. Is there something else about the picture that doesn't make it look "normal"?

Here's the picture for D Matt. I probably still need a little more DOF because there seems to be some bokeh blur near the mid bottom section. Oh well, I'm done with shooting chess pieces for the night. ;)
e703e844.jpg

It doesn't look like you faked it, the scene just looks CG or something, the pieces are so smooth and the lighting is kinda weird.

LOL. Actually, I took the comment as a compliment. Nicely done. And by the way, shaddap about the dust mate, it looks like texture in the black of the board. I like it being there - actually, could you put all the dust back that you removed? Great shot. The final one is a wee rippah.

Pyromaniac said:
It doesn't look like you faked it, the scene just looks CG or something, the pieces are so smooth and the lighting is kinda weird.
Okay that clears things up. Don't worry I didn't take offense to your comment. Hopefully it didn't sound as if I took offense. It can be hard to tell people's tone on the internet.

I was just curious so that I might fix it next time. The smoothness comes from the good smooth background blur I get from my 50mm 1.4 lens. Anyway, thanks for your comment. I do appreciate it. :D

2Stupid2Duck said:
actually, could you put all the dust back that you removed?
That would be kind of hard because I didn't remove any dust digitally through photoshop. I hand dusted it myself but apparently I missed some. What you see is what you get unless you want me to sprinkle some dust on the board for next time. ;)

I love this even more the second time around. The hue on the chess pieces is great and I like the DOF adjustment in the second shot here. Great job!

Very cool! I understand the "looks fake" comment....I took it as a compliment. As for you at the dust obsession, Harpper, sounds like you've got a little Monk in you. Just kidding! (If you don't watch the show, you won't get that comment.)

Thanks for all the additional comments. :D

LizM said:
I like the dust though. Kinda looks like the aftermath of the battle where the pawn beat the knight!
Lol. I didn't think of it that way. It kind of puts a new perspective on things. ;)

Not Neve said:
I understand the "looks fake" comment....I took it as a compliment.
Yeah, it's just a misunderstanding. I also took it more as a compliment. Pyromaniac might have thought I was offended but I wasn't. I was just curious as to why he thought it looked fake...just for my own personal knowledge. This way I'll know what looks "fake" or not "fake" for my future pictures. :D

Not Neve said:
As for you at the dust obsession, Harpper, sounds like you've got a little Monk in you. Just kidding! (If you don't watch the show, you won't get that comment.)
Lol. I've seen the commercials for the show but haven't watched any episodes. I think I know what you are taking about though, but I only care about dust when I take close macro like shots...monk has some major issues. ;)

Actually I think the DOF in the first one works fine since the piece is frosted it isn't a big deal. Now printed out full-size might be different, but here it works ok.

Nice shots BTW, the blue really sets the pieces off well. :tup:

Most reactions

Back