Chess

Scurra

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Inspired by some shots I saw on this forum a little whilr back I thought I would break out my glass chess set as well.

I used my point and shoot digital, which had issues performing in the low light situation, so after a little advice I got hold of Helicon Filter. Having fixed some noise and played with various light temperature settings I came up with the first image, and after a little inversion in photoshop I came up with the second. The actual chess set is frosted blue and white glass and I achieved the look by standing the glass chess board on an upturned stool with the base of my lava lamp underneath to give the lighting:

Chess.jpg

and

invertedChess.jpg

As always comments are welcome.

hmm not a single comment? :( you can just tell me they're **** if you like.... I don't mind it was a boredom thing I did last night.

Yeah they were the white pieces, but I turned the light temp right down to give it a yellow glow... I was quite pleased with the way the coloured squares on the board stop some of the pieces from being illuminated from below as well... gives an interesting effect.

I like the first one the most as well. It's got good lines and I like the coloring, too. Good work!!

Sometimes we're a little slow with making a comment. I have to look at a picture two or three times before I comment myself.

The first one is cool.

IMO, it would be better if it is cropped from the left.

I just missed this before, because I definitely like that first image, Scurra. I would agree with the cropping on the left side, because you have a great diagonal line that should be emphasized.

Ha, I love the fact this is lit by a lava lamp. :D Good job!

I don't like the first one at all, and I can't put my finger on why.
But I love the second one. The colours, the noise, the angle. Everything.

Yay Ferny, I like the second one best too.... :) maybe theres something wrong with us?

Maybe this will make the 1st more appealing:

chesscopy.jpg

Is that the kind of crop people were referring to?

haha cheers santino :) maybe it's cos we are English, we are all a bit odd over here 8)

Most reactions

Back