Chess

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by PeterBraden, Oct 2, 2005.

1. PeterBraden

PeterBraden TPF Noob!

Was looking for things to do this morning so I decided to take a couple of shots of chess pieces. It wasnt my camera and one of the settings seemed to give the pictures a red overtone.

Do you think that this ruins the picture(I have tried to edit it out as much as possible).

Also, what do you think of the composition/cropping of the picture?

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

Peter

2. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

What exactly are you asking here? Does what ruin the picture? The colour cast given by the camera or your attempt to edit it out?

3. PeterBraden

PeterBraden TPF Noob!

well either really. I was thinking more the cast from the camera but if you think the editings ruined it please say...

Thanks

Peter

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

The colour actually looks OK. There is no cast in the whites and the grey background is neutral.
    The only two things I'd say is that, firstly, it's a bit overexposed. About 1/3 maybe even 1/2 stop. The white chess piece is blowing out. It needs a little more detail.
    The other is the visual balance. You have cropped it too tight at the top. You need to put a bit more air over the top of the white chess piece to get the image balance right.

5. shandie8

shandie8 TPF Noob!

Well speaking untechnically I find it very nice.

6. David A

David A TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe it is just my monitor...but I think that the blue piece is just a little bit oversaturated. I am starting to see the distortion where the color tones start to change. It's a nice idea but I think the composition is just a little bit weak. All I really see is two chess pieces that are sitting on a black cloth with some minor post processing...I'd suggest trying some different angles and maybe some varying shapes and chess pieces...perhaps a king/queen and a pawn. Also, black and white might make the picture work better...I don't know, though...I'd have to see it.

EDIT- I just realized that you did have the king and pawn...my mistake. Anyway, hope this helps...just keep playing with the angles... :thumbup:

7. eydryan

eydryan TPF Noob!

it is just your monitor :D