Chicago

fightheheathens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
my questions are several. I feel like some of the pictures i post on here are pretty decent pictures yet in what i feel is a good photo i dont receive many if any comments. So this is where my queston comes in and i will use a recent photo that i think is cool.

What is it about this photo, composition, lighting, detail and exposure that does not make it good. is it too dark? too light? not enough building? too typical a building shot?
what could i do to a shot like this to make it stand out more then it aparently does?

I know these questions are rather vague and not quite on line with this part of the forum, but ive already posted this in the general gallery and id like some really harsh critique on it.

this was taken in Chicago at night hand held.
ISO 100, 1/60 f/3.2
post processing was just slight darken of the image and bump of contrast. Highlights were lowered and midtones raised.
i then layered the image and on the second layer i really darkened it up to bring out the detail in the building and give it softer colors.

building1.jpg

Most of the time people don't comment on pictures because they don't know what to say - or indeed have anything to say.
And giving a serious crit takes time and some effort (which is why I don't do it unless specifically asked).
I'll get back to you later on when I've got more time.

I like the tones and the fall off of light going to the top. My biggesst thing is that the building is so full of detail but you shot it at such a angle that alot of the moldings and ornamental objects are lost. Captured nice sharp detail but it is kind of lost by not allowing they pieces to show more of themselves. Also, I said I like the fall off of light but I think if you shot standing a little further back it would aid the building in showing off its architecture and would allow for the fall off without spliting the photo in too two pieces, a dark half and a light half.

Your detail looks good, the tone works well, my only thing would be adjusting the compostion to less of a angle.

I agree with hertz on what he said about people posting. Alot of time people don't know what to say or don't have anything to say. If your looking for a good critique though it helps to start by asking for a specific thing; comp., color, lighting, etc. This way us viewers have a idea of what to look for in the piece and can give a more detailed critique of what we percieve.

That is a very interedting view. And the contrast is well done. Only thing I would comment is the dullness of the contrast in the flags. Seems like they should stand out more than they do. But that' no big deal. I really like this shot though.

First of all, I am not a proffessional photographer and this photo is better than any of mines taken ever. I am still learning and still learning to obsereve the photos, so don't mind, if I say something stupid.

I like your idea a lot to show us a building, that is so high, that we can not even see it's top. My problem is, the my eyes stay on the details of the building and doesn't wants to go further. :mrgreen:

I have also a bit of "neck-breaking" feeling when I look at it... As other also said, maybe the angle is to big.

I also rarely comment photos from others. Mostly, beacuse I like them a lot and the only thing to post would be to ask "how did you do it"! I like to open the forum when I get in to office early in the morning and watch the nice photos, like yours.

It's the breakfast for my eyes! :hail:

well hertz has a good point. this is a tough one... it looks good. but it's... well different from what you do and see everyday...

i'm looking to find flaws but this shot doesn't work like that... it's different. i see a good point that looks more by the book in the abstract lines which apparently go into the infinite space.

it's very strange because up is down and also into... it's very 3D and well hard to digest really. i look at it and i'm lost. i mean absolutely. not in the sense that i find no focal point that's not it, it's just that all conventions are broken somehow...

one question is did you use digital editing?

hard to discuss it more so i'll just leave it for a bit, return on it tomorrow with a fresh view, maybe a little insight too...

oh and OT: does my signature annoy you? being too long and all?

Personally, I think this shot is awesome. I think it is a very interesting and unique perspective, the angles are great, and I love how it fades into oblivion. I would say a bit more of a bump in contrast as well. Nice job! One question...what building in Chicago is this?

thanks

sometimes i get frustrated when i dont get comments on a photo. i think i just need to ask for the critique more.

well, i dont know what exact building in chicago it is. but it was on michigan ave. and it was near the river.

the only digital editing i did i said in the origional post. im not much one for the post processing. i feel the art of photography is in the taking of the picture, and thats me personally.

i think as far as many of my photos go, they tend to carry an empty or lonely mood.

im going back to chicago in december and im actually gona bring my real camera this time, so, i think ill try getting the building from a less sharp angle.

You hit it with one of your questions for me. It's a typical building shot that I've seen many times before. And I have rarely seen one that really gives the scale or feel of the building as most buildings look tall like this so I don't think itever recreates the feelng of looking up like that through your eyes.

Not your fault just the photo in my opinion is overdone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back