Child photography for doting mamas

mama tee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm a mom who would like to take GREAT photographs of my baby boy. I've been using my trusty tablet and a 10-year-old point-and-shoot camera just to take snapshots.

I don't know the basics, really, and would like some direction on where to start (would appreciate it really if you serve the specific links or resource titles on a plate :) ). My plan is to spruce up the house with choice photos of my baby boy.

Can you give me some tips?

Can you give me some tips?
IMO you should learn to be very critical of your own work. Learn what makes a good photograph as opposed to the ordinary snapshots. Keep only the best ones. Do not display photos that are not up to par.

Additionally, learn how to manipulate the lighting to produce excellent results. Learn to "see" the light, whether it comes in a window, or from a lamp, or even a reflector.

People can make some pretty good photographs with ordinary cameras if they understand those two things.

If you want to make some great pictures of your kid, browse the Internet and flip through kid photography books so you can find those type of pictures you like very much. You can then try to reproduce them on your own. That being said, you will need to learn a few basics in photography (shutter speed, aperture, and ISO) to select the right exposure for the picture you intend to make. Don't overlook this aspect as some pictures are simply impossible to make with the camera set on full Auto mode. If you are truly into photography, want to pick it up as a new hobby, and have some money to spend, you may consider purchasing a more modern camera.

Last edited:
In addition to some excellent advice above, this: Join a camera club. There are always people (usually very knowledgeable) who are happy to spend a lot of time helping you progress. On-line stuff is great, but personal, one-on-one is even better.

KmH said:
Tip: Learn to use flash.

Yes...flash is a powerful tool...if used at an advanced level, it looks a lot like normal, everyday lighting looks to the human eye. The biggest problem most new photographers have is overestimating the brightness of light in indoor situations. Normal indoor lighting that most people call "bright lighting" is woefully inadequate for most photographic equipment. The type of flash use I am talking about is detailed pretty well by a guy named Neil V, in his "Tangents" blog. He also has a book. Check into his blog posts, and you will be instructed in how to create natural looking flash photos.

Thanks for the tips and resources, guys.

While the Baby Center post was an easy read, everything else (such as flash, shutter speed, ISO, etc) is foreign to me. I'm browsing the TPF mentor scheme right now. Let's hope I find someone willing to mentor a total noob.

While the Baby Center post was an easy read, everything else (such as flash, shutter speed, ISO, etc) is foreign to me. I'm browsing the TPF mentor scheme right now. Let's hope I find someone willing to mentor a total noob.

There's a lot of learning material online, YouTube videos, and books you can read, and obviously come here if you have questions. Don't let the technical stuff discourage you though, go one step at the time, learn the core basics of the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ISO (type those 3 words in YouTube and you'll find zillions of videos), and everything else will add up later on. With today's digital camera, you can experiment all sort of exposures without spending a single penny. Good luck.

I bought my Nikon D3200 just for this reason and now use it for my product photography and to take photos of the kids... It's nothing too special but I LOVE it! I bought a book about exposure and researched and read and read and read and read some more... lol Pretty quickly I ditched the kit lens and bought a 50mm and a 35mm (now saving for an 85mm) After nearly 2 years with it and pretty much never putting it on Auto unless I am being super lazy with it I am finally starting to feel more comfortable/natural with it but I also don't use it every day... I recently bought an old Minolta to get into touch with the film thing though... Good luck and there really is so much information out there if you just plug something into google! :)

I see some people posting about exposure triangles and all that stuff... But really guys, she has an point and shoot that is 10 years old, She probably cannot even control theses settings on it. Let's provide information that she can use with what she has, then offer the alternative of upgrading the equipment...

So I personally have 3 options you will maybe want to consider ;

1st and most recommended option : Ask the services of a professional in your area for the special shots you absolutely want to keep as a memento. You can then combine with option 3. Why I propose this is that you are assured to have good looking, professional picture of your kid. Sure professional cannot be there at all the "important moment" but you never regret having those memento from a true professional photographer.

2nd option is to get a better camera and start learning basic composition, lighting, technical aspect of lenses, camera, exposure triangle. The choice I recommend the less for someone who only want picture of their kids and doesn't have photography as a serious hobby, you're a mom so you probably have better stuff to care about.

3rd is to do what you can with what you have. Since you have a point and shoot, the camera most likely does the technical decision for you. Your role is then to provide an environment where the camera can provide good decision ( lot of light in the scene, bright sunny day for a reference), avoid shades like pest so the auto white balance doesn't freak out, and learn about composition. It's probably the main thing you will want to learn about to do decent family picture, composition. The light can be great, the camera setting can be perfect, the environment and subject can be fantastic, the shot is still gonna suck if the composition suck.

If you can post the model of your point and shoot and the tablet you're using, we can maybe provide a few pointers as what feature your camera have and you can use, how to use them and why you might want to use them.

Hope this help.

Last edited:
I see some people posting about exposure triangles and all that stuff... But really guys, she has an point and shoot that is 10 years old, She probably cannot even control theses settings on it. Let's provide information that she can use with what she has, then offer the alternative of upgrading the equipment...

You are right, but I'm ambivalent with such requests from people who want to get into photography after they've seen some amazing pictures made by experienced photographers. When I get to hear a great electric guitar player, I would also love to play like him, but I know it takes years of serious practice to play at that level. While photography isn't as complicated or tough to learn, it does require someone to make a genuine effort in learning something that is not obvious at first sight. I've taught photography to countless persons, but very few of them actually reached a point where they know what to do once the camera is in manual mode. That was long before digital and the Internet, and I'm sure it's much easier to learn today.

You do give some good advices as to hire a professional photographer to get the shots she really wants to have, at moments that will never come back.

Hopefully, she can learn photography, and eventually buy a camera that will let her explore this great hobby.

You are right, but I'm ambivalent with such requests from people who want to get into photography after they've seen some amazing pictures made by experienced photographers. When I get to hear a great electric guitar player, I would also love to play like him, but I know it takes years of serious practice to play at that level. While photography isn't as complicated or tough to learn, it does require someone to make a genuine effort in learning something that is not obvious at first sight. I've taught photography to countless persons, but very few of them actually reached a point where they know what to do once the camera is in manual mode. That was long before digital and the Internet, and I'm sure it's much easier to learn today.

You do give some good advices as to hire a professional photographer to get the shots she really wants to have, at moments that will never come back.

Hopefully, she can learn photography, and eventually buy a camera that will let her explore this great hobby.

I genuinely get the feeling of what you mean and I totally agree, but if I can allow myself to read between the lines here, her interest isn't in photography itself, but photographing moments of her kids' life. She doesn't need (nor probably want to) have to go through all the knowledge people on the forum acquired over the years to do that, I have decent picture of myself as a kid that was taken by family member who didn't had the basic composition knowledge that I consider treasures. I should also note that theses pictures were taken with a 10$ camera you're supposed to throw in the garbage after 1 cheap roll of film at 2$ add to that the cheap glossy paper-drugstore kind of laboratory work.

Of course, one has to manage expectations, as professional result with this amount of knowledge and gear is simply impossible. But sometime, feelings for a picture, memories are more important that the technical aspect. Which is my honest guest at what the original poster need. Of course, final decision is to her. If she want professional picture taken by herself, she'll have to invest in proper equipment, and time to gather knowledge and practice. If she want to capture moment, with a point and shoot and a good amount of lighting combined with composition knowledge, you can make very decent picture. If she still want professional picture but don't want to / can't invest in equipment and time, then the service of a professional is needed.

In any case, I propose we wait for more detail on the OP's situation and decision so we can properly direct her to resources that she need. I don't want to derail too much either.

Hi all,

Thanks heaps for all your replies.

I am using still using a point-and-shoot Sony Cybershot DSC -W55 and a thick Samsung galaxy tab 7.0.

Here are a few shots taken outdoors. The unit got splashed with water a bit - I’m pleasantly surprised it hasn’t shown signs of wear and tear yet.

Baby and his beach boat.jpg
Baby at 4 ft pool.jpg
Baby in his boat.jpg

Since the camera has been with me for a decade at least and I take it to the pool/beach with my baby, it does have some sentimental value which is why I’m planning on marking it with photography equipment sticker labels.

Anyway, back to the child photography - I do like to take things one at a time and honestly feel that I fit under Category 3, considering that I’m a busy mom but probably too poor to afford hiring a professional photographer. I'm a total noob at editing too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back