Child Photography.....open for criticism

RHazarika

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Haven't really tried children shoots before, so need feedback. Should I have gone for a closer crop? And what about the processing? I also tried in full black & white but liked this look better.
up39.jpg

I would have gone for a closer crop. You just lose her right elbow for a full frame so I'd crop the bottom to around wrists.
Great focal point on her face and a natural facial expression. Not too sure about the colour.

Great expression.
Did you add blur in post? F 4.5 would not have such a shallow depth of field I don't think. I find it distracting.
Not a fan of the color, but I'm at a point where I never use tinting. Personal taste I guess.
All in all, a great shot that is not helped by the processing decisions IMO.

No closer. In fact, you are already too tight as you've cropped her elbow and foot. Perhaps if you had held the camera vertically you would have gotten all of the model in the shot. As far as keeping the pavement crack in the shot, it does nothing to help.

The processing is largely a matter of personal preference, so the tint you have is one way to look at it, but not everyone will like it.

If you're interested in seeing how others might process this, please make your profile statement read; "My Photos Are OK to Edit".

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have reprocessed it a little differently, mainly reducing the blur, a different crop, changed the tone and removed the crack. Think this is better.

up41.jpg

You turned the child green ... not even a good green. I suggest sepia and a square crop and slightly and selectively darken the cheeks, nose and hand.

You turned the child green ... not even a good green. I suggest sepia and a square crop and slightly and selectively darken the cheeks, nose and hand.

Are you refering to the first or the second pic? cuz I don't think the second pic can be called 'green'.

Are you refering to the first or the second pic? cuz I don't think the second pic can be called 'green'.
Yes, they're both green.

Not a fan of fake, obvious, blur.

The second, at least on my monitor, still has a green cast to it. Less than the first, but green nonetheless. Not to be rude ... but the second green immediately brings to mind the off-green coloration of an aging avocado. I suggest sometime in the brown tones.

_GA17747-L.jpg

While not as creative ... but certainly more pleasing.

Gary

OP: As I posted earlier, if you would like someone here to do some editing, go into your profile settings and change it to read "my photos are ok to edit". Then post up the original JPG.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back