Child Portraits 2

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Graelwyn, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Some more from my first time shooting portraits some 5 years ago. Nikon f60 is camera used, and it was also my first printing experiences, done in a bathroom. I am aware of the lack of catchlights, a gripe of mine about these.

[​IMG]

2. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

3. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

4. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

5. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

6. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm, lol, they are either too bad to comment on or child portraiture is not a popular area.

7. Neophyte Photographer

Neophyte Photographer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i like em

they are a bit grainy though

and i'm not that fond of purple

8. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As stated in my initial post, they were done by a beginner. Not a pro. But points taken.

9. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Most of us here are beginners, and we all have to start somewhere right? I think you did a great job - especially with child photography. Firstly because they are often either really shy or really goofy in front of the camera and they move - and move fast. Hopefully this is okay, but I am just goign to give some CC (constructive critisicm)

Personally, I don't mind the noise at all. With black and white I believe it adds character. Now, that beign said, I agree with Mike, the purple hue is not doing it for me. Perhaps a straight black and white, or slight (very slight) sepia hint would look better?

Try taking a step back, perhaps seeing what the individual is looking at, laughign out, shying away from adds so much more than just their facial expression. For instance in post #2, the expression is very interesting - but I have no idea who are what she is interacting with or reacting to.

Next, the shadows. Try takign a few photos in full shade - it is amazing teh difference, it just smooths things out.

Overall, you did a wonderful job with exposure and focus - you can tell these kids are also rather comfortable with you behind the camera, and that is one of the most important things. I am looking forward to seeing more

10. Amber24

Amber24 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think they are nice, but I would really like to see them in color. When you shoot so close up to the face, its nice to see the color of their eyes. Thats what I like at least, lol.

11. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, you say you took these 5 years ago when you very first ventured into child portraiture?
    For a beginner's photos they are good.
    There is no doubt about that.
    You might do many things differently today?

You did one thing that few beginners dare to do: you got CLOSE to your subjects. You did not shy away from them (and they did not shy away from you). So you captured some lovely expressions.

In some I personally think you got too close (2), but well.
    My favourite is Photo 1. I see the shadow, and you might moan and groan about it, but as a child photo taken outside, without placing the child and letting her pose it is good.

But what IS it that makes your prints so pink?
    Is it the paper you used at the time?

You could still re-convert them into straightforward b&w in your computer if it is your SCANNER that gives you the hue!?!?

And you may very well post more than one photo in one and the same thread. You need not start a new post for each picture.

12. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am not sure what has given that purple/pink hue... it wasn't intentional. I can only assume it occured when I tried to clean them up with paintshop or something as basically, my best prints were submitted to the college and I never bothered to collect them, so I was left with the poorer prints...these. These aren't actually the best of what I did. These are the ones I rejected, lol.

I like getting in close, did from the start. I am still a relative beginner as to be honest,I haven't done a great deal since. I am waiting to get a digital dslr before I really get going and learn more about technique.

These weren't just my first venture into child portraiture, I had only been doing photography for about 5 or 6 months when I took them, and had only done sunsets before. I also did a lot of abstract but the prints I kept of those are too poor to even consider doing anything with.