child portraits...

holga girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
some pics from a shoot this morning. I had some lighting issues and last minute we had to move the shoot on location. this girls hair was uncontrollable. any hoo... i would love some feedback....

SOPHIA-1.jpg

SOPHIA-10.jpg

SOPHIA-11.jpg

SOPHIA-12.jpg

SOPHIA-13.jpg

SOPHIA-14.jpg

SOPHIA-15.jpg

SOPHIA-16.jpg

SOPHIA-2.jpg

SOPHIA-3.jpg

SOPHIA-4.jpg

SOPHIA-5.jpg

SOPHIA-6.jpg

SOPHIA-7.jpg

SOPHIA-8.jpg

These are all so adorable. The 7th picture really seemed to make me stop and look at it for a few minutes. It also made me smile.

They all seem to be underexposed and the B&Ws are very flat. I'd boost them in curves and add some contrast. Also, I'm not digging the angles on #7 and #8. Cute girl and great expressions. These will be great with some pp.

I love 2 and 14 the most, although 14 can use some more contrast. i am a beginner though so i would not know how to do that

yeah, i actually have 2 sb-800's. we had to change locations last minute. the father is a very busy doctor and i literally had about 15mins with this girl. so setting up anything was out of the question. usually i would have used reflectors for fill, but i didn't know we were going on location until last minute so i had no assistant :(

i took some advice on the editing. pp is my greatest downfall. i think i have a strong eye for comp, but not for color etc. it is one of the things i don't like about digital.

if i have time later, i will repost the edits to see what you think.

as far as the angles go, i tend to shoot a lot with angles. fortunately, the world is not just horizontal or vertical. and while some images work nicely in those confines, i find that most images do not.

if you pay attention to the way your eye scans a plain, unless you are reading something, your eyes do not go straight up and down or across. they dart in angles. it is very natural actually. i personally feel it is most important to create a natural image that best utilizes the space in your frame.

i might be alone in liking result though! thanks for all the cc. any comments on comp/posing etc.?

j

I think #7 and #8 are really nice. My only thoughts are that they are all really similar shots in terms of posing and location, some more variety would have been nice.

To me, a lot of these look like snapshots.

Particularly, 2, 3, 4, 7 , 9, 10, 13 ,14 , 15

They are all sort of flat and of course need PP work.

I would say 6 is the standout picture for me, but it needs work.

Your profile says ok to edit so I worked up a couple of your photos. Hope it's ok.
For this one I brightened it in curves, boosted the contrast, brightened just the eyes, used an USM and then sponged and burned the background.

SOPHIA-8.jpg

For this one I cropped it down, brightened in curves, boosted contrast, brightened and sharpened the eyes, used an USM at 85/1/1 and that was it.

SOPHIA-12.jpg

Post-processing makes a BIG difference. If you're going to do portraits professionally, you have to learn to do it.

There is alot of noise in almost all of the pictures. I'm not sure why, but want to revisit ISO.

YES, there is a lot of noise. it is shot at 100iso on my d200 and 200iso on my d70. i always seem to have trouble with noise, even at the lower iso's. i am still on a learning curve from digital.

I'll echo everyone else... You've got some adorable shots. But the dappled lighting and lack of fill killed you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back