Children of the Snoot

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been horsing around with a snoot on an SB-600. I got my kids to do a bit of modelling for me tonight and I found the results to be pretty interesting. Was curious what you guys though. C&C much appreciated.

I included one color one for comparison of the general style. The B&W ones seem to work better for me for some reason, but again very curious of opinions.

== 1 ==
Snoot Experiments - Emma - 001 bw tpf.jpg

== 2 ==
Snoot Experiments - Emma - 004 tpf.jpg

== 3 ==
Snoot Experiments - Grace - 001 bw tpf.jpg

== 4 ==
Snoot Experiments - Emma and Grace - 008 bw tpf.jpg

They're interesting and I like where you're heading but the snoot is kind of a hard light source and these seem just a little dark. I've been thinking of trying a gridded beauty dish for something like this, maybe that would give a slightly softer look?

I haven't heard of the gridded beauty dish. I'll have to look it up. This weekend is my very first foray into doing anything other than having the SB-600 on the camera. It's opened up a whole new dangerous world for me. :)

Thanks for the comments- I hadn't considered the shots harsh, though I don't love what the setup does with their eyes.

Kids in so dark photos doesn't work for me. Children mostly show intensive emotions, they are happy, cry, etc and I like to SEE those emotions, and not hide it due low light. Your kids also have beautiful eyes for example, but I can not see them... Hope you get what I meen.

I am a big fan of the snoot. and have experimented quite a bit myself. I agree your shots look a little dark, but overall I think the lighting makes for a cool effect. Here is one from some of my experimenting. I know the border looks weird, it is just from the way it is posted on my webpage.

specgalimage1.jpg

Kids in so dark photos doesn't work for me. Children mostly show intensive emotions, they are happy, cry, etc and I like to SEE those emotions, and not hide it due low light. Your kids also have beautiful eyes for example, but I can not see them... Hope you get what I meen.

Yes, absolutely. I appreciate the feedback. I probably like these because they HIDE some emotions. My children are not wanting for a voice to express their feelings. :lmao: Again, I appreciate the comments.

I am a big fan of the snoot. and have experimented quite a bit myself. I agree your shots look a little dark, but overall I think the lighting makes for a cool effect. Here is one from some of my experimenting. I know the border looks weird, it is just from the way it is posted on my webpage.

specgalimage1.jpg

Yeah, a consistent comment on these is that they are pretty dark. I actually think that may be just a bad decision I made in post processing, and not so much the capture itself. I'm not overly practiced in B&W. I'm going to try again.

The shot you pasted in there is very much the kind of shot that I like with these snoots. Really accentuates an area, and darkens but doesn't totally blank out others key spots... very cool effect.

What is your typical setup, if I may ask? Are you using a standard flash? something else? Do you do anything to diffuse the light from the flash?

Chris. For the this shot I was using just one Sb-25 triggered with a V2 wireless. It was low right through about a 8in homemade snoot. I do not remember exactly, but I believe the end of the snoot was about 3ft from her. I used a white paper towel over the end of the snoot to soften the light just a bit. (kind of cheesy I know, but it worked) I shot through a strand of christmas lights. I did do quite a bit of PP. I have experimented quite a bit with some different set ups, they always make for interesting lighting. Here is a one with a similiar set up with a homemade cookie over the end of the snoot creating the shadow areas.

specgalimage2.jpg

I do think you could brighten yours up quite a bit in photoshop without losing the feel you are going for. I think you got the right idea, taking advantage of your kiddos to find the setup that you like. This thread has gotten me inspired. I gonna have to bust mine out and start playing around with them.

Jeff, that's awesome information... thank you so much! A paper towel? Who would have thought? I would have expected that would cut down the light way too much. I need to give that a try. Not to mention a homemade cookie! :lol: This is like the McGuyver branch of photographic lighting. And here I thought maybe I'd give the snoot a rest tonight... no way! I'm taking more pictures! :lol:

I am going to redo the shots of the kids and see how that comes out... it was totally one where I went and looked at it again later and was like "man, that's really dark... what was I thinking?"

Thanks again, this is really excellent info.

Jeff, that's awesome information... thank you so much! A paper towel? Who would have thought? I would have expected that would cut down the light way too much. I need to give that a try. Not to mention a homemade cookie! :lol: This is like the McGuyver branch of photographic lighting. And here I thought maybe I'd give the snoot a rest tonight... no way! I'm taking more pictures! :lol:

I am going to redo the shots of the kids and see how that comes out... it was totally one where I went and looked at it again later and was like "man, that's really dark... what was I thinking?"

Thanks again, this is really excellent info.

:lol: "Do we really have to Daddy?"

I think what struck me aside from them being very dark as was already covered, is that they are very flat and lack range. A boost in contrast would help your b&w's a lot :)

Hey tinfish... I tried the paper towel thing and it totally killed the light. I even seperated the sheets of the 2-ply towel. (should have seen the look I got from my wife on that one). Odd. The diffuser that I often use on the flash also killed the light completely. Very interesting.

:lol: "Do we really have to Daddy?"

ha... oh BOY do you not know my daughters. :lmao: Asking them if I could pose them and take their pictures is akin to asking me if I might like to have a free Porsche. Most of the poses in the original set were my older daughter's ideas. Scary. :lol:

I think what struck me aside from them being very dark as was already covered, is that they are very flat and lack range. A boost in contrast would help your b&w's a lot :)

Yeah, totally agree... I tried to redo one of them. I'd love to know what you (and anyone else interested in commenting) thinks of the new version.

Snoot Experiments - Emma and Grace - 008 rev2 tpf.jpg

Thanks as always, everyone. Really appreciate the discourse.

I think you could push it even more. Perhaps a curves adjustment where your bring the middle up to 145 or so, and then drag the bottom line in some.

haha, ok I'll try... I feel like everytime I'm doing this I'm breaking something deep inside my soul. :lol:

Thanks for the help!

Most reactions

Back