child's birthday party...

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by dizzyg44, Aug 10, 2009.

1. dizzyg44

dizzyg44 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    First let me state that I am not a professional photographer nor have I ever claimed to be.

The reason I am posting this here is because I was paid for this shoot. I never asked to be nor did I expect it. It was for my wife's friend and we would have been there even if I wasn't shooting. I refused but she gave it to my wife afterwards to give me.

I feel bad because I feel like they are rubbish. I totally felt like I didn't know what I was doing and was fumbling through it since this is not the type of photography I'm used to. Give me my studio and control of the shot and I'm much more comfortable.

At least I was smart enough to get model release and when I delivered the CD (of only the best, not all) I give a limited reprint license just for them but allowing for my own portfolio usage.

I'm posting these here in this section because I don't want the casual observers point of view but from a professionals standpoint. I don't get why, but she was utterly ecstatic about the pics as well as all the other parents on the group who are now bugging me to do sessions for them. I really don't get it, am I the one not seeing something here or am I being my own worst critic? I'm trying to find solace by telling myself that it's not about the images but rather giving the mother the time to actually enjoy her daughters party instead of chasing everyone around with a camera trying to get a shot and not just enjoying herself.

If they do suck I ask that you tell me such (but also why).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Birthday girl and father (I guess she was still hungry after the cake)
    [​IMG]

8. :lol:
    [​IMG]

2. dizzyg44

dizzyg44 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    On a funny/pathetic note though...

She forwarded the link of these previews to some of her friends, one of which emailed me asking me to give her a copy of all the high res images. I politely told her that I can't as it would be unfair for me to freely give her images that her friend paid for but she was welcomed to ask her friend for the ones she would like as she has permission to share with her friends and family.

she still got all butt hurt about it though the lady I was shooting for was really happy that I didn't give and was rather PO'ed at her friends comments and acting like she was entitled because she was friends.

This kind of crap is why I didn't put high res version upped and used watermark, kept the album private, disabled the "print" option...

3. MACollum

MACollum TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you're being too hard on yourself. The pictures are far from awful.

#1 - Fill flash needed.
    #2 - You can crop out the little bit of the other kid.
    #3 & #4 - All that's needed here is a boost in contrast (which would also give you more saturation).
    #5 - Definitely the best of the bunch. Maybe cool the color down a bit.
    #6 - Same as for #5.
    #7 & #8 - These have a very strong green cast to them. Maybe you could clean up Dad's (??) face a bit in post.

I'm not sure how professional I could be considered since I just put up my business site and haven't done anything paid yet. I wouldn't say they suck; I would say that they could use some more post work. Did you shoot in RAW or JPG? If shot in RAW, it would be a lot easier to fix, but it can be done in JPG.

4. Lys87

Lys87 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i really like the first 6!

5. ocular

ocular TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    3 is my favorite.

6. dizzyg44

dizzyg44 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks I guess.

1,2 I'm mostly happy just that I was able to capture is clearly considering I was using a slow 20+ year old lens.

3,4 I agree on needing more contrast. 4, there was actually a car behind him in the original :)

7,8. What I don't get is that I don't see the color cast on my home monitor (calibrated) but it's really bad on my work computer but all the other pics are matching perfectly. With that much of a difference being off on those two I would expect to see all the others being off also, weird.

I thought about cleaning up his face a bit, but it's so bad that it would've been a slippery slope. Trust me, these are the better ones of him.

yes, I only shoot raw

I don't know maybe I am being too hard on my self.

I don't really want to be a professional photog but I would like to be able to at least off set my equipment cost. But I also don't want to deliver crap either or be that guy over promising and under delivering that's hurting the pro's business either. If that makes sense.

7. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yep, you are being too hard on yourself.

They are not perfect, but they are very nice images. I can see why the others want you to do sessions for them as well.

As you said, they are not photographers and the images you posted here are better than what they can do with P&S cameras, so of course they are happy.

Now just get them to book some in studio sessions with you and you are set! :)

8. JCleveland

JCleveland TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with many of the previous posters about being to hard on yourself! It's a birthday party! It's laid back and relaxed! The only issue I see, is there are some images with odd colour casts. ie #7 needs some of that green\yellow outta there. Over all looks like it was a fun party!