Chili con carne with props

You're improving.
Try to learn to concept of hero products.
Buy an entire pack of basil leaves and choose the most perfect leaves for the shot.
These are slightly torn and yellowish.
Also, I don't like the specular highlights on some of the food items.
Lighting, Styling, and Composition: Creating the Perfect Still-Life Image - The Shutterstock Blog

Thanks for the comments.
I haven't seen packs of basil leaves here but I have a plant growing on my window sill.
I should have been more careful and picking the best leaves.

Great shot!

I wish the front of the bowl AND the garlic cloves were just a bit sharper. Maybe stop down the aperture a step or two?

Sorry, I would have to disagree. Food photography is a lot like sports photography, you want the action or in this case the actual dish in focus to draw your attention to it alone. The supporting cast should be slightly out of focus. Only change I would have made was a spoon instead of a fork. Chili to me is a spoon food.

Sorry, I would have to disagree. Food photography is a lot like sports photography, you want the action or in this case the actual dish in focus to draw your attention to it alone. The supporting cast should be slightly out of focus. Only change I would have made was a spoon instead of a fork. Chili to me is a spoon food.
But DOF here was so shallow that front of bowl is too soft and background is so blurry as to be a distraction. IMO.

I agree about the spoon.

Well I understand that you Okie's have different tastes in food down there. Up here in Kansas we don't eat the package the food is in. :laughing:

Well I understand that you Okie's have different tastes in food down there. Up here in Kansas we don't eat the package the food is in. :laughing:
Mm mm, polypropylene! Tasty!

I was actually referring to the CONTENTS at the front of the bowl, but I must admit that my post was not the most artfully worded piece of literature!

Most reactions

Back