chilly day at the beach

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by OmlessWanderer, May 13, 2007.

1. OmlessWanderer

OmlessWanderer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm not sure why some of these look true B&W, while others from the roll have a funky color cast. Some of them printed looking like they had a significant red tone(You can still see it in 2 and 4 a little). Is this because the local lab is far from a pro-shop or is it my exposures? I've been using Kodak Professional BW400CN(C-41 color process) film. Any advice?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OmlessWanderer

OmlessWanderer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Anyone have any ideas about my question up top?

3. schumionbike

schumionbike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi, your question is a pretty technical question and I don't know a thing about developing film. The only thing I can say is I really like your third picture, nice composition and contrast!!

4. OmlessWanderer

OmlessWanderer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for the complement! :) Perhaps you are right about the technical aspect of the question... I should probably post a follow-up in the film forum... ^_^

5. montresor

montresor TPF Noob!

I've had this happen with C41 as well. I saw it described somewhere (maybe on TPF?) as an issue with the machines used to print at the lab. C41 B&W is really color film that just comes out B&W (Help me out here, Film Girl!), and the color machines the prints are made on don't always get cleaned as often as they ought to, probably due to workload volume, and there's some lingering chemicals hanging around in there and they can kind of make things orangey-brownish-reddish....

Or maybe there's some other reason. I wouldn't trust my hazy memory too much.

Sorry to get so deeply technical there! :lol:

6. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't imagine this is anything but a lab screwup.
    Just like you can't get color on a BW tc set, you shouldn't be able to get color on a BW film - unless the lab has failed its part.
    Poorly fixed BW prints get a reddish brown cast; perhaps this is the equivalent?

7. OmlessWanderer

OmlessWanderer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! That certainly gives me a point to go from. I did notice that compared to the two proper prints, the reddish ones have a bit more detail in the shadows which tells me they were exposed slightly brighter... I thought that might have been the problem. Now I realize that even if I had completely blown out the highlights, B&W is B&W... :p

8. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If it is a c41 type black and white it is a common problem. I had it everytime I had a rush job and sent it through a one hour lab. They use color paper with a filter pack. Any change in exposure over or under even half a stop changes the color balanace. At least that is what they told me. You can see the density difference in the prints but you can in the negs usually

9. montresor

montresor TPF Noob!

That sounds way better than my screwy guess! :mrgreen:

10. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    labs don't color correct for c41 bw film. i shoot an awful lot of ilford xp2 (love the stuff), but the prints from the lab have a color cast. the kodak version is supposed to print in true bw, but i've yet to see that happen on a consistent basis. the best that you can do is to tell them to make sure they understand that it's bw c41 film and to color correct for it.

11. OmlessWanderer

OmlessWanderer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The guy at the shop seems to enjoy what he does and he looks at each roll when I drop them off so I think he's at the very least aware that there are going to be black and whites in with the mix. I asked him if their machine was one of those scan to digital then print machines and he laughed and said "No, I'll never do that. We put light through negatives" Unfortunately it's also a half-hour lab so that he can compete with wal-mart and target so he said he doesn't usually have time to do any corrections... :thumbdown:

12. bluerangeriii

bluerangeriii TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah bw c-41 negatives dont have that yellow cast to them like normal color films so you will need to correct them. they usually come out looking purple. if you are going to an actual photolab you have the right to complain about their service. if its a generic 1 hour photo place you practically get what you paid for.