China and Hong Kong E-Bay Vendors?

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There is alot of 3rd party stuff made for Canon (and the other major camera firms) that is sold on ebay from Hong Kong or China. Forgetting about optics for a second, there are things like remote triggers, extension tubes, flashes, bellows, light stands, etc. at prices which make them seem VERY attractive even if they aren't perfect replacements for the high quality OEM products. How many of you have been burnt by ordering from the far-east? Are there any of these vendors that you can particularly recommend or recommend avoiding?

Thanks.

Ian

I for one wouldn't recommend buying Chinese copies because the huge variation in quality...

I got the phottix wire/wireless remote for my 40D from HK ebay seller, it got here in less than a week and that thing works great. I am not sure if the extra $2 insurance i paid had anything to do with the fast processing and shipping, no complain at all. I wouldn't recommend buying memory cards from any of the HK/China. Be cautious, if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

I got the phottix wire/wireless remote for my 40D .

That thing looks cool! I can think of all sorts of ways to use it ...

I for one wouldn't recommend buying Chinese copies because the huge variation in quality...

Yes but given that I could by 5 Nikon knockoff remote before getting close to the price of an official one, I would eventually hit a quality product right?

My last cable release cost me $7.50 and lasted 1.5 years. Sure Nikon's would probably still work but I would be $35 out of pocket for something that does the exact same thing.

One of my friends got burnt on a Cactus trigger. It only triggers once then the battery needed to be replaced. He bought another which works just fine. Total cost less than $60, cost of a pocket wizard $400.

I for one recommend these stores. They are great if you're on a budget and don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for nothing more than a little reliability. That said I wouldn't recommend them to the professional photographer for the exact same reason.

I paid under $175 for 1 wireless trigger, *5* receivers and a wireless camera trigger that works 100% from Hong Kong (Gadget Infinity). I've had NO issues at all.

On top of that, with a single strand of 12.4" piece of CAT5 wire and a 3 min solder job, I increased the range of the flash triggers from 30 feet to 258 feet, and had more to go (ran out of room to test!)

So... that $175 investment vs over $1500 for something like the Pocket Wizards and the Nikon wireless setup is a HUGE difference in money. I spent the money I saved on a Nikkor 85mm F/1.4 lens and still saved money.

Lenses are one place where I would not skimp on, however, on accessories you can save a ton of money by going to the orient.

Last edited:
Got a wireless shutter thingy and a grip from HK.

No problems with either one.

Have bought many phone accessories from EBay dealers based in HK - never a problem.

I think quality (or lack of) is the only question. If I depended on accessory to make money and was using it daily, you are probably better off buying Canon brand.

I purchased a couple of items and they all worked out. I got a flash cord for like $14 while Canon's are $80. Even if it is not as sturdy, i can buy 6 of them compared to one OEM if there was a problem. My Photixx remote trigger crapped out after 4 months, but at $6 shipped, I really cannot complain. The OEM is $60 so i can just buy 6 of the knock-off and get at least 2 years out of them. :lol: My knock-off lens hood for the 17-85 IS works and looks just like the OEM model. I believe they all came from HKS Photo on eBay.

the L grip that they sell for about 80.00 for the canon40d is pretty tempting.

I have bought a grip, extension tubes and a remote trigger from HK with absolutely no problems, and the shipping seems very quick!!

I have bought a grip, extension tubes and a remote trigger from HK with absolutely no problems, and the shipping seems very quick!!

any problems with the fit and finish?

Bought battery grips for D50 d D70 not available here any longer. Both were and have been fine - no issues. As 'good' as Nikon, no but then they were a fraction of the price.

Have bought Kenko extension tubes and other items from Hong Kong vendors and triggers and other items from Chinese/Hong Kong vendors with no issues. Have gotten everything ordered, never had a problem with anything working.

Hey Sandshots.

The grip fit really well, and works very well. It came with a pair of batteries as well, and I have taken over a thousand shots on one charge for the pair of batteries, and they weren't dead yet.

The extension tubes are kenko, which produces quality stuff in my opinion.

The remote trigger, which is wired, works fine and looks good. It aslso has a longer lead than the canon equivalent.

When I ordered my extension tubes I placed an order for a small item in the USA, and the tubes arrived from HK before the envelope from the US.

Cheers

Hey Sandshots.

The grip fit really well, and works very well. It came with a pair of batteries as well, and I have taken over a thousand shots on one charge for the pair of batteries, and they weren't dead yet.

The extension tubes are kenko, which produces quality stuff in my opinion.

The remote trigger, which is wired, works fine and looks good. It aslso has a longer lead than the canon equivalent.

When I ordered my extension tubes I placed an order for a small item in the USA, and the tubes arrived from HK before the envelope from the US.

Cheers

i might have to go for it and get one. i am so use to shooting my canon rs1 with the L grip that I still cant get use to crossing my right hand over when shooting the 40d. all of my action stuff is shot 95% horizontal.

I have heard of people having problems with there grips not fitting well, but I am happy with mine. I got it for about $80 cdn I think, with batteries, shipped.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back