China Rose: flower picture

santanuc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello friends,
here is a picture of a flower in the back-yard of my house. I took it last sunday :)

DSC00333_rot90.jpg

Very nice but as usual I'd like more DOF.

Yeh, I agree, maybe a little tighter croping at the bottom aswell, not sure.

Hmm, i just noticed the tip of the plant (dont know any techinical terms- stamen?) is out of focus so a smaller apeture would of sent it even more out of focus. I would say use a DOF long enough to keep the whole flower crisp in focus and then maybe diffuse or blure the background in photoshop afterwards.

will965 said:
Yeh, I agree, maybe a little tighter croping at the bottom aswell, not sure.

Hmm, i just noticed the tip of the plant (dont know any techinical terms- stamen?) is out of focus so a smaller apeture would of sent it even more out of focus. I would say use a DOF long enough to keep the whole flower crisp in focus and then maybe diffuse or blure the background in photoshop afterwards.

Smaller aperture = larger depth of field so more of the pic will be in focus.
Only downside is you need a slower shutter speed.

wider aperture = brighter picture = smaller number = shorter d.o.f.

so, i think it would be nice to have a longer d.o.f. in this photo as well, because the middle is out of focus. apart from that, i like the photo, great color

Thanx friends for all your comments...:)

is there any thumb-rule for selecting apperture for a particular DOF?

to be more specific say I want x unit length of my pic to be in focus, so what should be my apperture setting? is there any mathematical formula or any rule like "sunny 16" rule for exposure.....

santanuc said:
is there any thumb-rule for selecting apperture for a particular DOF?

A lot of cameras have a "DOF preview" button which helps somewhat but since it normally darkens the scene considerably it's just a rough guide.
This unfortunately means that a lot of it is a trial and error method so in this case I'd start with the good 'ol F8 and work from there, you'll get a feel for it in time.
Good luck and keep on clickin'!

Most reactions

Back