Chinese 3rd party iTTL flash

ecphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone on here has used any with success. Also how reliable are they? Which would you recommend if at all.

I've only used the meike 410 for manual settings off camera.

Thanks.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

The yongnuo flash are really good for the price. Take a look at them.

The yongnuo flash are really good for the price. Take a look at them.

Are the ones that they sell that have "TTL" fully compatible with the Nikon ittl/CLS ?

Are the ones that they sell that have "TTL" fully compatible with the Nikon ittl/CLS ?

I cannot say for sure, but the Nikon CLS is proprietary to Nikon, so I doubt if the Yongnuo will work in the CLS.

For the price, you could get one and try it. To effectively try CLS you will have to have either a Nikon SU-800 controller, a Nikon camera that has "commander mode" or another Nikon flash in the hotshoe to control the Yongnuo flash that is standing apart from the camera.

I cannot say for sure, but the Nikon CLS is proprietary to Nikon, so I doubt if the Yongnuo will work in the CLS.

For the price, you could get one and try it. To effectively try CLS you will have to have either a Nikon SU-800 controller, a Nikon camera that has "commander mode" or another Nikon flash in the hotshoe to control the Yongnuo flash that is standing apart from the camera.

Hmmm. Well I have about $200 to play with for a flash. I know its not much, I had previously bought a 430exii for $300 before I switched to Nikon and that was a lot of money for me lol.

Anyway, would you recommend buying a used SB 600/700 or a new off brand one?

As mentioned, Nikon (Canon, Pentax, Olympus, et al) does not share their proprietary information so 3rd party gear makers have to reverse engineered their hardware and software.

While a 3rd party flash may have some TTL capabilities, they won't have all of Nikon's iTTL/CLS capabilities.

TTL flash delivers less consistent results than learning how to use manual flash.
TTL relies on programming that cannot adjust for every shooting situation. Indeed the TTL, or even Nikon's iTTL program, has to operate on assumptions that can't be valid for every shot made with the flash unit.

So what you need to mention is what type of photographs you intend to use the flash for.

As mentioned, Nikon (Canon, Pentax, Olympus, et al) does not share their proprietary information so 3rd party gear makers have to reverse engineered their hardware and software.

While a 3rd party flash may have some TTL capabilities, they won't have all of Nikon's iTTL/CLS capabilities.

TTL flash delivers less consistent results than learning how to use manual flash.
TTL relies on programming that cannot adjust for every shooting situation. Indeed the TTL, or even Nikon's iTTL program, has to operate on assumptions that can't be valid for every shot made with the flash unit.

So what you need to mention is what type of photographs you intend to use the flash for.

For the most part I use flash for fill when doing outdoor shoots during daylight. I use it indoors during darker conditions to balance with existing natural lighting. I usually shoot in Manual exposing for the background and let the TTL set for the distance of the foreground subject.

For the most part I use flash for fill when doing outdoor shoots during daylight. I use it indoors during darker conditions to balance with existing natural lighting. I usually shoot in Manual exposing for the background and let the TTL set for the distance of the foreground subject.

I would save money and get the YN-560II or yn-560III, they don't have TTL but are cheaper and you could get more for $200. Learn to shoot with manual flash which in my opinion is better.

I got a Meike MK-910 last week and so far I really like it. It is a clone of the SB-910. Supports HSS, i-ttl exposures seems great, and most CLS stuff seem to work. I don't have a ton of experience with flash stuff though. There is a thread about it about 5 down from this one.. It was $145.. Here is a flickr discussion about it.. https://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157642265812554/

Thanks guys. I'll look into those that you mentioned. ☺

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back